This is why no ball valves.....

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. You pay for quality. Like script monkey said, though, you can reuse them, but my sump valves are not something I change on a regular basis

No you are correct. But having the ability to being able to maintain them was high on my requirements list even though I may never need to do so.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - When said that I don't change my sump valves often I was intending to point out that although the Cepex valves are more expensive, they're only a one time expense.

I completely agree that the ability to maintain the valves is a big plus. Having a valve that's also well made, consistently works and is less likely to need maintenance is an even bigger plus.

cuba steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you. Was cleaning out my acrylic qt yesterday and the wind blew it off picnic table. Split it right down a corner.

Carlos Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the beauty of the marine fish hobby. Always seems like your replacing something all the time. Thats the beauty of it! It drives me crazy but I guess thats all part of the fun. LOL!

leena2674

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I'm not a fan of ball valves at all. Much more control with gate valves. Also, they don't tend to stick!

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good ball valve is fine, and actually better for straight on/off uses. Gate valves are far and away better for fine adjustments, but they're a pain if all you're doing is shutting off the flow. For higher quality valves, there's not much difference in price, either.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back