This Old Tank.....

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began my first reef tank in 2007 and went through perhaps more than the usual struggles getting a reef tank established. I finally achieved what I felt was success with a thriving SPS dominant tank. By 2013 I was pruning and throwing out acropora by the bucketful because I had overloaded all the local reefers with frags from my common/run of the mill colonies. I certainly enjoyed having a nice mature reef tank, but perhaps because I no longer was agonizing about what I needed to fix or tweak to get there, after a year or two I kind of lost interest and let my routine slide and gradually my tank suffered and then over the years, flat out deteriorated.

That was then:
2013 old tank sideshot.jpg

2013FTS.jpg

This is now (and the now photos are after I removed as much of the turf-algae encrusted coral skeletons I could break off the rockwork, nuked as many of the aiptasia I could with hot RODI water or lemon juice and did my best to scrape the thick layer of coralline algae off the glass). Remarkably my rose BTA and fish all survived the neglect:

FTS.jpg

While the current FTS certainly is sad, a few months ago when I decided to do right by my tank again, I couldn't bring myself to snap a photo. It was too disgusting. All you could see if you found a place to peak through the crud on the glass was dead sticks and aiptasia.

I have committed myself to try to resurrect this tank and treat my saltwater wards with the respect and attention they deserve. To that end I realize that although I have technically been in this hobby for over a decade, I have a ton to learn. Both old school knowledge that I never mastered and the flood of new information/technology that has exploded since I let things slide. I recalled Algae Turf Scrubbers were being heralded as great nutrient exporters right when I began to lose interest, so that was my first 'upgrade' to this tank. It is up and running and I was really pleased with how great a job its doing at nutrient export, only to find out that there has been a big swing in reef keeping philosophy away from low nutrient systems.

I never did any nutrient/trace element or carbon dosing, etc. The old system was strictly BRS two part dosing with a skimmer, GFO and GAC reactors and water changes (wet skim style done every two weeks) and ATI test kits. While I feel that I was able to pull off a satisfactory tank I always had about a 40% death rate of new acro frags no matter how carefully I acclimated them to my tank. While the Surf'nTurf, M. Accardi Teal, Turquoise, Green slimer stags, assorted bottle brush (Borealis and a few unnamed) and Oregon Tort took off and thrived, others just refused to encrust, faded and STN'd. I still don't know why, but Millepora HATE my tank. I must have tried over a dozen different millis (I love the way they look) but the only one that ever took was a generic rose milli from my LFS. It grew and colored up nicely for about a year, then stalled and faded to brown.

I hope a few forum members can at least look past, if not actually forgive, my years of negligence and be willing to help me not only bring this tank back, but exceed its former self

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kurtp, life happens.

I've been at this for sometime and I've had my ups and downs, just like a lot of us. No big deal.

Here's what I say to a long time reefer that takes a break and comes back:

"Once salt gets in your veins, it never leaves."

Welcome back!

OP
OP
kurtp

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank setup is as follows:
120 gallon display with two Jebao RW-20's for flow, 6 bulb ATI T5 fixture with fresh bulbs and a recent ReefBrite XHO actinic LED add on, an ASM skimmer that's 10 years old but still going strong, the ATS, BRS two part via dosing pumps.

Livestock:
Old survivors -
10 year old rose BTA hosting a pair of clownfish,
BTA1.JPG

Yellow tang, melanurus wrasse, and a mandarin goby.

percy1.JPG

New additions - a sizeable CUC (hermits, various snails and one emerald crab who is going to town on the remaining turf algae and valonia, a fat and happy lawn mower blenny, an aiptasia eating file fish and about 15 peppermint shrimp

"Upgrades" (so far)
Hanna tests for alk and Phosphate, Salifert for calcium and Elos for Mg.

Coral survivors of the dark years:
Green Pavona
a generic rainbow favia from an LFS that had lost most of its color but continued to grow (happily much of its coloration has returned with the improvements made so far)
various montipora - the Jedi Mind trick undata actually maintained most of its glory until I added the new T5 bulbs and the ReefBrite strip and then it and the seemingly bullet-proof Vivid purple cap took nose dives. They both are recovering with raising the light fixture, which I did when I added several new frags. The old encrusting monti's (superman, sunset, generic purple) had all stalled out but have colored up nicely.
Mystery corals - As I mentioned, I broke off/removed as much of the dead coral that I could when I decided to start doing right by my tank again. As it turns out, there are a few areas of rockwork where there must have been some residual encrusted SPS that survived under the turf algae and now that the CUC is cleaning house and the lights and parameters have improved there are definite SPS type tissue.
One area is where my Blue with fuscia tip bottle brush colony was (I think it was called 'Fuzzy Acro' but I can't recall where I got it.

Fuzzy.JPG

There are a few patches of shaggy green on remnant stag branches that were too thick to break off and I think those are the surviving remnants of my Bali Green Slimer (which would be great because I really liked that old boy).

But there is also this patch of cool purple and green SPS tissue that looks nothing like I recall ever having had in my tank.

Here is a shot of the mystery acro and in the left upper corner is one of the patches I hope is the slimer
mystery survivor acro.JPG

These survivors are the silver lining to this whole experience and I hope I can nurse them back to their former glory

Fuzzy.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
kurtp

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the 'Mystery Acro' (second to last picture in post #5) has blossomed into a very nice looking colony and I am hoping someone has an idea what it is. Years ago I bought many beautiful acro frags, most of which would quickly brown out, and I honestly can't remember what they all were or used to look like before they were subjected to the conditions in my tank. All I know is that I never had an acro that looked like this one does, now that I am blessed with a healthy reef tank (knock on wood).
Here are a few shots of what it looks like now.

The first shot is through the glass and while it doesn't do the colors justice I thought it showed the structure adequately--kind of a table with upright branches.
Unk Acro.jpg

And here is a top-down shot that at least shows the color distribution well. The base green and polyp color are pretty close but the branches are more purple than the blue in this photo (The actual color is still pretty much the same purple that was captured well in the post #5 photo):

TDUnkAcro.jpg

I bought and had disappointing results of many named acro's back then, but also bought quite a few unnamed frags, too. Maybe this is just one of the unnamed LFS acros I threw in and lost track of when it browned out, but if someone recognizes a named acro, I'd appreciate hearing their thoughts. Either way, I sure like it and think its kind of cool how it raised out of the ashes of a neglected system to become an eye-catcher.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back