OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand the need for a monthly fee why not just allow the customers to buy the disc when they want to? Last thing people want to do is add another monthly bill to their budget .

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand the need for a monthly fee why not just allow the customers to buy the disc when they want to? Last thing people want to do is add another monthly bill to their budget .

I think that the monthly billing option allows you to do that. The disc will work for 30 days + 10 more days, then it stops reading. They said this is because the results may no longer be accurate. The subscription fee includes the monthly replacement disc, so it is equivalent to buying replacement test kits for the other devices. The disc is a consumable just like test kits, the only difference is the disc does not disappear like reagents in a bottle. You would not use other automated testers and wonder why they stopped working when the bottles are empty, you would know the reagent is used up so it needs to be replaced. The only difference is Mindstream will automatically ship it to you while other companies require you to order more on your own (I have not researched this so they may auto ship, not sure).

I understand it feeling like the subscription is kinda forced upon you, I initially felt the same way. But what use are any of the automated testers if you do not keep the testing reagent stocked in the device. And getting about 28,800 test a month for $35,plus instant notifications if something is off, is work it to me personally.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@richiero How much are the reagents each month for the other devices? Plus some of the other devices require the purchase of supplies such as needles and syringes I believe. And some require the device to be sent in for maintenance every 18 months or so, Mindstream does not. (sorry, I have not done a lot of research on how all the automated devices work, if any of this is incorrect please let me know...do not want to misinform anyone).

I think it works out to about $.001 a test if my math is correct. For just over $1 a day it is with it for me to have the test automatically ran.

I paid $700 for it because of the MACNA discount. Was very skeptical and approached the booth to ask many of the questions I have seen asked on this forum. I was satisfied with the answers I heard and realized any testing device will become a paperweight if you do not add reagents, and at least with this device I only have the expense of the disc, not other supplies or maintenance cost.

And that is the great thing about there being different options appearing on the market, people have choices as to what test are important to them and which device suits their needs. For me, the Mindstream meets all my testing needs and will alert me to issues in the tank such as low oxygen levels.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d rather no subscription and buy in bulk when they have a sale

That is exactly the type of thing I do with lots of my purchases lol

I think the issue with buying in bulk could be the shelf life of the disc. I believe it works out somehow that you always have a spare disk on hand in case of emergencies, I remember something being said about this but not exactly how it works out. I asked about having spares on hand and how long before the disc expire and I believe they said they do not recommend keeping them over 6 months (I would need to verify this info, just what I recall them saying).

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has got to be negative trolling of the mindstream. We have multiple threads already about the device, the subscription and everything else. There's no way OP hasn't heard of this before now.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I understand it is that the monthly subscription keeps everyone on the same cycle. Every time the manufacturer makes a batch, the individual transparent lenses are slightly different and the corrections are automatically updated on every device to provide extreme accuracy.

The debate for paying $30-40 a month doesn't bode well for most hobbyist. I don't pay that much per month on test kits (maybe on average half that).

And the price per test doesn't compare apples to apples because no one is going to test that frequently, there's no need. But because the mindstream doesn't care if it does a test every second or every 2 hours, the discs are going to wear out the same.

They're banking on you looking at this like a monthly cellphone or cable bill payment. Either way it's a commitment and there are those that are willing to pay it and those that aren't. I assure you that other companies are waiting in the wings to see how the masses accept the idea... if we as a collective like it then we will start to see other manufactures of automated testing equipment capitalize on a similar subscription platform.

I don't think debating it is going to change peoples minds. Either you like it or you don't.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The discs can’t be bought in bulk, they are only good for a fixed amount of time after calibration. The subscription model is necessitated by the technology, it’s the only way to make it work. If you like the service, go for it. If not, don’t.

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@richiero How much are the reagents each month for the other devices? Plus some of the other devices require the purchase of supplies such as needles and syringes I believe. And some require the device to be sent in for maintenance every 18 months or so, Mindstream does not. (sorry, I have not done a lot of research on how all the automated devices work, if any of this is incorrect please let me know...do not want to misinform anyone).

I think it works out to about $.001 a test if my math is correct. For just over $1 a day it is with it for me to have the test automatically ran.

I paid $700 for it because of the MACNA discount. Was very skeptical and approached the booth to ask many of the questions I have seen asked on this forum. I was satisfied with the answers I heard and realized any testing device will become a paperweight if you do not add reagents, and at least with this device I only have the expense of the disc, not other supplies or maintenance cost.

And that is the great thing about there being different options appearing on the market, people have choices as to what test are important to them and which device suits their needs. For me, the Mindstream meets all my testing needs and will alert me to issues in the tank such as low oxygen levels.
I would say my reagents are 10-15 dollars a month if that. My alkatronic reagent last a year plus.

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has got to be negative trolling of the mindstream. We have multiple threads already about the device, the subscription and everything else. There's no way OP hasn't heard of this before now.
No it’s not trolling it’s my opinion on the product, I just heard of the product the other day. The unit is a 1000 bucks which I’m fine with my issue is the over priced monthly fee that comes with this device, imo that’s going to be a hard ask for many reefers‍♂️

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The discs can’t be bought in bulk, they are only good for a fixed amount of time after calibration. The subscription model is necessitated by the technology, it’s the only way to make it work. If you like the service, go for it. If not, don’t.
35-40 bucks a month is crazy imo, 10-15 bucks a month is a reasonable ask kinda like a Netflix or Spotify subscription

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I understand it is that the monthly subscription keeps everyone on the same cycle. Every time the manufacturer makes a batch, the individual transparent lenses are slightly different and the corrections are automatically updated on every device to provide extreme accuracy.

The debate for paying $30-40 a month doesn't bode well for most hobbyist. I don't pay that much per month on test kits (maybe on average half that).

And the price per test doesn't compare apples to apples because no one is going to test that frequently, there's no need. But because the mindstream doesn't care if it does a test every second or every 2 hours, the discs are going to wear out the same.

They're banking on you looking at this like a monthly cellphone or cable bill payment. Either way it's a commitment and there are those that are willing to pay it and those that aren't. I assure you that other companies are waiting in the wings to see how the masses accept the idea... if we as a collective like it then we will start to see other manufactures of automated testing equipment capitalize on a similar subscription platform.

I don't think debating it is going to change peoples minds. Either you like it or you don't.
My point exactly imo a 1000 dollar unit should have some way of recalibrating to a new disc that is inserted no matter when it was bought. And to the point of monthly bills most people are trying to get rig of them not add them. I just rock bottomed all my monthly bills, I never pay full price for sat radio etc etc ...

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, The tech is really cool and I’ll be following along to see how it develops and the company holds up long term but the pricing model isn’t for me. They ran a $300 dollar discount deal for MACNA... Seems to me that at a regular price of $700 retail there’d be many more folks inclined to give them a shot and is probably more in line with what it’s actually worth.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35-40 bucks a month is crazy imo, 10-15 bucks a month is a reasonable ask kinda like a Netflix or Spotify subscription

Well, that is your opinion and you are absolutely entitled to think that and not give this company any of your money or support. I am not here to change your mind. I felt the same way you do, but have since changed my mind and just thought I would share my thoughts :)

Obviously it seems like a reasonable cost to some people, because units are being sold. Reasonable cost varies depending on who you talk to.

And I would never think to compare it to any other type of service like Netflix (which I think is getting to be overpriced lol). I mean if you are making comparisons like that: we choose to pay $50 a month for OnStar and unlimited wifi in our Suburban. Some people may think it is ridiculous, we use it enough to make it worth the cost and it is worth it to us.

And yes, it may be more appealing to some people if you could calibrate it yourself. But for me, I like the idea of it never needing to be calibrated. While that may be a deal breaker for you, it was a selling point for me. Which proves the point, it is not the right automated testing device for everyone...but fortunately there are other options out there that sound like they are a good fit for you. I would not consider them for myself, but I know they are a perfect fit for others so I am thankful they are available for those reefers.

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that is your opinion and you are absolutely entitled to think that and not give this company any of your money or support. I am not here to change your mind. I felt the same way you do, but have since changed my mind and just thought I would share my thoughts :)

Obviously it seems like a reasonable cost to some people, because units are being sold. Reasonable cost varies depending on who you talk to.

And I would never think to compare it to any other type of service like Netflix (which I think is getting to be overpriced lol). I mean if you are making comparisons like that: we choose to pay $50 a month for OnStar and unlimited wifi in our Suburban. Some people may think it is ridiculous, we use it enough to make it worth the cost and it is worth it to us.

And yes, it may be more appealing to some people if you could calibrate it yourself. But for me, I like the idea of it never needing to be calibrated. While that may be a deal breaker for you, it was a selling point for me. Which proves the point, it is not the right automated testing device for everyone...but fortunately there are other options out there that sound like they are a good fit for you. I would not consider them for myself, but I know they are a perfect fit for others so I am thankful they are available for those reefers.
Yes that makes sense maybe when they add NP I might reconsider

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back