This week in the history of chemistry #4

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week in the history of chemistry was pretty eventful!
Some highlights:

Nov 1 In 1772,
Antoine Lavoisier reported to the French Academy of Sciences that sulfur and phosphorus gain weight upon heating. His research into the matter would change the way chemists viewed combustion.
Nov 1 In 1952, first detonation of a thermonuclear fusion bomb (H-bomb) at Elugelab Atoll, Marshall Islands.
Nov 2 In 1886, Karl Benz receives patent (German patent 37435) for first automobile with internal combustion engine.
Nov 2 In 1931, DuPont begins mass-production of the first commercially available synthetic rubber, DuPrene.
Nov 3 In 1749, Daniel Rutherford was born. He discovered nitrogen (N, element 7); distinguished between carbon dioxide and nitrogen; invented the maximum and minimum thermometer
Nov 4 In 1943, the X-10 fission reactor, the first to produce large amounts of radioisotopes for further research, went critical at Oak Ridge.
Nov 5 In 1891, Neil Kensington Adam was born. He developed an understanding of surface film monolayers and the two-dimensional state of matter at water-air interface (like in a skimmer)
Nov 6 In 1886, Isidor (Ian) Morris Heilbron was born. He invented the synthesis of natural products such as vitamins A and D
Nov 7 In 1867, Marie Curie (Manya Sklodowska) was born. She codiscovered radium (Ra, element 88) and polonium (Po, 84) with husband Pierre; won Nobel Prize (physics) in 1903; Nobel Prize (chemistry) in 1911. Curium (Cm, element 96) is named after Marie and Pierre.
Nov 8 In 1895, Wilhelm Röntgen discovered X-rays.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back