This will be your reward for growing a beautiful reef....

Do you want to be rewarded for growing a mature reef tank?

• Yes

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • No

Votes: 96 38.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So most of us started keeping a reef tank for the pure enjoyment of the hobby, watching fish swim and corals grow etc.. But after it being a hobby, for some, it has morphed into other things like a business, fame or even a stimulant for health reasons etc. No matter the reason it is always rewarding to be able to grow a mature, beautiful reef. But for others the reward is more than satisfaction it is a way to get paid or a way to earn benefits etc.

No matter how you slice it the opportunity to capitalize on your hard work is there for anyone desiring to gain more than just a good feeling for growing a beautiful reef. So what are are some of the ways you can capitalize or be "rewarded" for being a successful reef grower? :)

• Satisfaction in a job well done.
  • Notoriety among your peers.
  • Notoriety within the industry.
  • Free or reduced cost product and equipment from companies.
  • Free or reduced coral and fish from companies.
  • Payment for photos of your mature reef to be used for product packaging.
  • Free travel to speak at industry events, frag swaps, club meetings, etc.

These are a few "rewards" that come to my mind but I wonder if I am missing something and how you feel about being "rewarded" for your hard work.

So do you want to be rewarded and how might that look to you?

4a36259fef4ba01d63d4314dbf88137e.jpg

image via @server10 at Aquaforest! Check this thread out.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Children enthralled by the beauty of nature and motivated to excel in math and science that earn full scholarships to college!
That's .5M my sorry as* is never gonna earn selling frags :)

Incredible reef you have there!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first fish tank in the 50’s, when I was 5 yrs old and confined to bed rest because of a car accident. But in 1973, after college, I went all out with salt water, with 5 tanks in my apartment, and then 2 more in my businesses.
I consider this 500g, my best tank ever... it is 6’x5’ and is much better to look at than any TV or computer screen!
Very proud to show ‘my baby’ to many local reefers/friends that often stop by.
Most coral ‘deals’ are cashless and I’m happy to help others have some of the success that I’ve had. Paying it forward is very rewarding!
E1B03B7B-A49E-4D13-96C0-AC3BD540F09A.jpeg

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reward is being able to keep corals and fish alive that aren't fairing so well in nature these days. I have no intent on making my hobby a business, but I know the days of having to trim will come. Those frags will go to members here in trade or dirt cheap.

SynGraves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like a sticker once my nano reef matures :D

Day to day rewards of keeping a healthy reef is seeing the corals fully open, growing and healthy and happy fish.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in sales, so I'm always motivated by cold, hard cash. Or discounts. Selling frags, giving testimonials, receiving promo items... if I had the pull to take advantage of any of those, of course I'd love to have my reef pay back some of what I've put into it.

That said - having a reef needs to be its own reward. If it wasn't intrinsically rewarding, I wouldn't do it. It's a lot of blood, sweat and tears to put together a healthy reef, and there's absolutely no guarantee that you'll ever be rewarded externally. Seeing beautiful fish, stunning corals, and quirky invertebrates on a daily basis is its own joy.

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in this hobby currently for the challenge of keeping a proper saltwater fish tank. Once I am more advanced. I'm sure I will attempt to sell. Currently this is strictly a money pit hobby, and I love it!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back