This will be your reward for growing a beautiful reef....

Do you want to be rewarded for growing a mature reef tank?

• Yes

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • No

Votes: 96 38.6%

• Total voters

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest a reward might be a rank on here. Like "Seasoned Fishkeeper, Coral Guru, Equipment pro" if you can grow SPS colonies the size of basketballs or keep a wide variety of fish or rig your apex to flush your toilet.

The reason I'd advocate for this (though it may not be easy to implement, folks would have to be nominated and approved for a rank) is that I see a LOT of wrong information/advise given by people that have no business answering questions. So if you ask an SPS question and a Coral Guru answers, you can be confident in the info. Or if you have sick fish, you can be confident if you hear from a seasoned fishkeeper.

I know we started this road with the "reefsquad" but it wasnt super clear if they had specialties and such.

Anyhow, I think earning a rank and the ability to use it to help your peers is a good reward.

edit: important caveat, these ranks would be hard earned. Like we would have 20 SPS Guru's worldwide or something like that. Ensuring the highest caliber of information.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I may be crazy but, with things going the way they are, I think the day is going to come when all of us are going to be cutting and donating frags to reseed the oceans. I hope it never gets to that point, but that's an endeavour that would be very rewarding.
I disagree. The coral that live in Florida may = may not survive in Fiji. This sounds like a nice idea (and - if its required - I'm all for it) - but it won't happen. For a number of reasons.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first fish tank in the 50’s, when I was 5 yrs old and confined to bed rest because of a car accident. But in 1973, after college, I went all out with salt water, with 5 tanks in my apartment, and then 2 more in my businesses.
I consider this 500g, my best tank ever... it is 6’x5’ and is much better to look at than any TV or computer screen!
Very proud to show ‘my baby’ to many local reefers/friends that often stop by.
Most coral ‘deals’ are cashless and I’m happy to help others have some of the success that I’ve had. Paying it forward is very rewarding!
E1B03B7B-A49E-4D13-96C0-AC3BD540F09A.jpeg

HOLY CLAM........

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm rewarded everyday just looking at my tanks. The wonder and beauty of marine life growing in my home never ceases to amaze me. If no one else ever knew I kept reef tanks, I would be rewarded enough with the enjoyment they bring me. However, even though my wife shares my obsession to a certain extent, there's no one close to me that really understands the complexities and sense of accomplishment associated with keeping a successful reef tank. Notoriety and monetary gain aside, for me the only other reward I could think of would be a pat on the back from experienced reefers with the same passion. One question though: When exactly is a reef "mature"?

Mrs. Herbert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to start selling some of my corals to others. Right now I had another RBTA split and I noticed little Kenya trees popping up around my tank.
I may be crazy but, with things going the way they are, I think the day is going to come when all of us are going to be cutting and donating frags to reseed the oceans. I hope it never gets to that point, but that's an endeavour that would be very rewarding.
I totally agree! At the rate my little 75gallon reef is going, I am going to be a FRAG queen!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I am stuck in the past because this is exactly why I do it.
"the pure enjoyment of the hobby, watching fish swim and corals grow etc.."

I have 6 dogs. I don't desire to breed them or show them either.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been lucky enough to make a living with coral reefs for more than 20 years. The reward has been being able to live the dream without going broke.

Now I’m in a position to take much of what I’ve learned into the classroom and engage young people in scientific discovery, which is a far greater reward.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main reward is personal enjoyment. There are a lot of people who are not passionate about anything. I really can't imagine my life without a reef in it. That being said I have enjoyed the few times I've submitted things that were either published in a magazine or online. I strive for a "TOTM" quality tank not so much for the award itself, but to know my reef is as nice as the top reefs out there.

Selling frags brings 2 kinds of rewards. Cash which can be spent on more corals, but also knowing corals I grew out are growing out in other peoples systems. Sometimes I wonder about frags I sold or traded years ago, what is still out there ect.

Ian M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first tank after a spinal injury that put me into a dark place and focusing on caring for the reef/fish became my therapy. The only rewards I need is knowing that I have provided a safe environment and watching it thrive, I don't need a pat on the back as I am my best/worst critic.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My reward is keeping them alive and the color !!!

DibsOnMcRibs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reward is a very expensive means of decompressing after a stressful day at work.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reward is having ppl come over and seeing it. They have no idea what went into getting it going and keeping it going.

jpcrash1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't need to be recognized. I do it for me. I do get a little upset when people look at my tank and don't appreciate the coral and say you need more fish! Lol

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I barely have my toes wet in this hobby but the look on my students’ faces is all the reward I need. Many of my students are of low socioeconomic status and many live in hotels, I do this for them. And I couldn’t do it without the countless companies in this hobby that have contributed generously to our classroom and I owe all of you, the Reef2Reef community for the wealth of information I have at my disposal.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back