Make every snack a reef reward! Do you feed treats to your fish or corals?

Do you feed treats to your fish or corals?

• Yes, I regularly add treats to my tank.

Votes: 43 20.8%
  • Yes, I occasionally add treats to my tank.

Votes: 83 40.1%
  • No, I don’t add treats to my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Make every snack a reef reward! Do you feed treats to your fish or corals?

Maintaining a healthy diet for your fish and corals is important, but every once in a while some reef keepers choose to add treats to the tank. Does this describe you? I mean, who doesn’t like an occasional snack. Your fish and corals may not actually care and feeding the treat may only be for you to feel better, but then again, the fish may appreciate it as well. Please let us know if you feed treats to your fish or corals.

OlysTank_ROTM.jpeg

Photo by @Olys_Tank

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.deltecdirectusa.com

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.”

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always. My fish are better at begging than the dogs. I feed frozen as my staple but keep pellets in the on hand to toss in as treats through out the day. Tangs know exactly what is coming when they see me bend over to get inside the stand. I feed the fish and fish feed the corals.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't resist feeding my Sailfin Tang , his favorite foods like nori and mysis , he has a nice fat belly and is just awesome to look at. He has some scarring from HLLE years ago but he is healthy , just can't cure that scarring

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I liked the treats my fish nearly kill for as much as they do. That said I feed a full sheet of nori every 2-3 days and my fish just go nuts. My tangs seriously become ravenous and slap fish out of the way, they guard the nori clip using their bodies to block other fish from getting to it. It's like someone put chum in the ocean and all the sharks came out.

If only I liked Nori as much as they do I'd be the healthiest person on the planet.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not.......I have a very strict feeding regimen that holds my phosphates and nitrates right where I need them, while still keeping my fish happy and healthy. I don't want to throw anything off lol.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My feeding goal for the fish is to provide a good variety of healthy food options so that they get proper nutrition and not the same thing every day.

I would never feed them "treats" since they never brush their teeth after they eat. Can't risk having them get cavities with the current cost of veterinary and dental services.

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always. My fish are better at begging than the dogs. I feed frozen as my staple but keep pellets in the on hand to toss in as treats through out the day. Tangs know exactly what is coming when they see me bend over to get inside the stand. I feed the fish and fish feed the corals.
So true my fish come up to the tank window whenever they see motion begging for some food

My clowns are terrible for it and they prefer to eat out of your hands than off the top of the water ‍♂️

Swfiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish beg anytime they see me and I’m a sucker and feed them lol. For about 2 months my wife and I couldn’t figure out why 10 fish would pile into the corner of our 300g tank and specifically the front right corner… then one day while sitting on the sofa my wife goes “they are just sitting there watching you” as soon as I stood up and walked across the room they followed me to the other side haha.

I make a frozen food with all kinds of meaty foods and bonus stuff that I snap off a chunk of every so often and give as a treat in addition to our normal frozen or dry diet.

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides a twice-a-day feeding, about once or twice a week I put a spirulina tablet on the front glass. There is not a creature in my tank that doesn't love spirulina. The clowns attack the tablet and the rest of the neighbors enjoy the fallout.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back