Those cheap skimmers...

Adequate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a small skimmer for my ~25 gallon system. I've seen a few different models on several different online stores, and I've been seeing reviews saying different things about then, assuming there are even reviews of them :rolleyes:

Here's what I'm considering:

Boyu/JAD WG-310
proteinskimmer.jpg

This one goes for $15 to $40 on different sites; eBay, Aliexpress, etc. It's gotten some bad reviews (like donkey's/pronstar1's) but also some videos have shown it doing its job well. There's also the Aqua One Miniskim 80, it seems to have the exact same design as the WG-310, though perhaps quality control is better from a legitimate manufacturer like Aqua One?

Idk what this one is
proteinskimmer2.jpg

I just found this one a few minutes ago, no idea which company makes these, let alone its name. Goes for around $45.

OP
OP
A

Adequate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I saw a listing for one of those on Gumtree for $75, my LFS sells them for $120, so that's an option I'm also considering. Still I just wanted to see if there'd be any cheaper options.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have tried a few cheap eBay skimmers , just out of curiosity. Not worth the box they come in, imo

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you want to keep the price down but I would go with something like this...

I have the K2-50 and it works great (a little loud) and the build quality is very good.

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your serious about starting a reef tank you should save a little more and buy a good one because filtration is a big part of your tank. I’ve had cheap protein skimmers when I started out And I always found myself tinkering with the settings and never pulled the greatest skim. You’ll probably get away using a cheap skimmer but you gotta remember if it doesn’t last long or you don’t like the cheap skimmer you’ll end up spending double the price you originally wanted to spend. I eventually spent some birthday money on a reefoctopus skimmer which I knew had great reviews across the board and it’s one of the best investments I made on my tank. I realize not everyone has enough money which I totally get but if there’s an option to save up some more money it would be doing yourself a huge favor. Keep us posted what you end up using.

OP
OP
A

Adequate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you want to keep the price down but I would go with something like this...

I have the K2-50 and it works great (a little loud) and the build quality is very good.

Looks like a neat skimmer. Doesn't seem to be widely available here in Australia though, found it on eBay, costing $300 shipped :eek:

If your serious about starting a reef tank you should save a little more and buy a good one because filtration is a big part of your tank. I’ve had cheap protein skimmers when I started out And I always found myself tinkering with the settings and never pulled the greatest skim. You’ll probably get away using a cheap skimmer but you gotta remember if it doesn’t last long or you don’t like the cheap skimmer you’ll end up spending double the price you originally wanted to spend. I eventually spent some birthday money on a reefoctopus skimmer which I knew had great reviews across the board and it’s one of the best investments I made on my tank. I realize not everyone has enough money which I totally get but if there’s an option to save up some more money it would be doing yourself a huge favor. Keep us posted what you end up using.

Yeah buddy, I totally get that. I like simple and minimalistic setups but I don't skip out on everything. My equipment is functional and good quality, albeit second hand but they do the job, like brand spanking new equipment would. I won't shell out hundreds like many other reefers would, but the essentials are totally worth my money :D

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My .02 on cheap stuff.

The makers of 'cheap' stuff know full well there is some sticker shock involved when pricing gear for a reef tank. They capitalize on this, and will sell you anything at a price that plays on the emotional side of things, without regard to the actual performance of the product.

Save the cash and get something from a recognized brand that has a reputation to consider rather than throwing away your 45$ by going cheap. There are inexpensive options in the nano category that aren't 'cheap'.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%

Back