Those who have started over...

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running successfully for almost 5 years now. Followed the @Paul B method when I started up (Thanks for all the help Paul). I have a no sump, HoB filter, HoB skimmer, RUGF system. Things are going great and the maintenance is little to none to keep things growing as they are.

The reason prompting me to want to start over is the GSP basically taking over. I was lazy in the beginning and didn't believe any of my coral were at risk of growing like crazy. Seemed like over night it spread to basically everywhere.

Finally my question for the experienced. What did everyone do with their livestock? Have 8 fish in my 90g, all that are about as old as the tank. My 2 choices are really to have my LFS check everything out and give store credit or to individually sell everything to other reefers. I'm more concerned about the well being of my animals than the price I will get for them. Just wondering if selling item by item was a nightmare or not.

P.S With the rebuild I'm planning keeping the fish and coral isn't going to be an option.

Thanks everyone who replies.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not keep the fish, put them in a temp setup while you redo your tank and then move them over. I’ve successfully kept more fish than that in. 30 gallon Tupperware tote with filter, heater and air stone for several months

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not keep the fish, put them in a temp setup while you redo your tank and then move them over. I’ve successfully kept more fish than that in. 30 gallon Tupperware tote with filter, heater and air stone for several months
Area constraint and the time this project will take. I'm keeping the 90g that I have. However drilling for a sump, and using all new rocks from gulfliverock or KP. I just think it will take too long for my comfort level keeping everything alive in a tub.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Area constraint and the time this project will take. I'm keeping the 90g that I have. However drilling for a sump, and using all new rocks from gulfliverock or KP. I just think it will take too long for my comfort level keeping everything alive in a tub.
Work fast :).

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work fast :).
I'd rather not rush things. This was my first tank and was put together quickly while being worried about finances. Have the ability now to take it slower and put my knowledge I've accumulated to work. I figure just the time the new ocean rock is quarantined and the time it will take to aquascape wet rocks will be a decent amount of effort. I enjoyed the start up of a new tank and would like to see the difference ocean rock makes in the process. Will also be shifting from RUGF to standard sand, new lighting, new sump. There will just be enough things for me to be working on.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you not have any rock at all that doesn't have GSP on it? Could put that in a bin with the fish.

Your best bet to find them good homes is to try and rehome them to other reefers. A LFS might sell them to someone who's got absolutely no idea what they're doing.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather not rush things. This was my first tank and was put together quickly while being worried about finances. Have the ability now to take it slower and put my knowledge I've accumulated to work. I figure just the time the new ocean rock is quarantined and the time it will take to aquascape wet rocks will be a decent amount of effort. I enjoyed the start up of a new tank and would like to see the difference ocean rock makes in the process. Will also be shifting from RUGF to standard sand, new lighting, new sump. There will just be enough things for me to be working on.
Understood. I went with 100% KPA live rock and wouldn’t do it any other way. No Dinos, diatoms, cyano, GHA, blooms, algae of any kind. Definitely the way to start things off on the right foot.

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you not have any rock at all that doesn't have GSP on it? Could put that in a bin with the fish.

Your best bet to find them good homes is to try and rehome them to other reefers. A LFS might sell them to someone who's got absolutely no idea what they're doing.
This is my biggest concern actually. Most of my fish are small, but have a yellow tang I'm quite fond of. As for the rock and coral there aren't any I want to keep.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching all the life come out of ocean live rock is awesome. It’s my favorite thing about starting a new tank. Enjoy! And best of luck with the rebuild!

Regarding your initial question, I try to rehome my fish to local reefers I know, but what I can’t rehome to friends I take to the LFS I trust and use the store credit I get towards new livestock when my new tank is ready.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your only keeping the fish, start new rock now in a barrel with heat, some ghost feed and light flow. It might take say several months to mature up. or like you said, maybe LR in which you can go immediately.

When cooked, remove old rock from DT and corals to a bin.

Replace with newly seasoned rock, a bottle Bacteria, and all your fish.

You can bleach that old rock and put it in the sun.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said area constraints but if you can fit a stock tank somewhere the fish can live in it indefinatly. You could use your hob filter, toss some rock in and pitch it when your done since you don't want it in the new setup. I kept all my fish in one for over 3 months with a aquaclear 110 hob and a heater and to be honest I enjoyed them more then than I do in the tank. Looking down on them was a much more fun than looking at them through the side of the tank.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running successfully for almost 5 years now. Followed the @Paul B method when I started up (Thanks for all the help Paul). I have a no sump, HoB filter, HoB skimmer, RUGF system. Things are going great and the maintenance is little to none to keep things growing as they are.

The reason prompting me to want to start over is the GSP basically taking over. I was lazy in the beginning and didn't believe any of my coral were at risk of growing like crazy. Seemed like over night it spread to basically everywhere.

Finally my question for the experienced. What did everyone do with their livestock? Have 8 fish in my 90g, all that are about as old as the tank. My 2 choices are really to have my LFS check everything out and give store credit or to individually sell everything to other reefers. I'm more concerned about the well being of my animals than the price I will get for them. Just wondering if selling item by item was a nightmare or not.

P.S With the rebuild I'm planning keeping the fish and coral isn't going to be an option.

Thanks everyone who replies.
Depending on where you live I feel best bet is to post for sale in your local fourm.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what coral are you wanting to keep that isn't GSP? Could you add corals that could hold there own against GSP/frag the GSP in spots and place new hardy/aggressive corals there. Could ou frag out sections of the GSP one by one and replace it? or replace one rock at a time.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back