Thoughts on EcoTech Gen 5 lights

moonwaxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just wondering if anyone else is a bit ticked with EcoTech and there Gen 5 radions? I got one not knowing that they are NOT compatible with the reef link.
My issue is they are not backward compatible. I will be getting rid of it as I really don't want to down load yet another app just to control one new light on my grow out tank.. I have spend a HUGE amount of money over the years with them. I will say they have always done right by me There is no doubt there. I have had the best service from the tech and repair dept. over the years. Yet they now are going to make lights that will not work with the reef link ecosmart live??? At this point I have 9- xr15 Pro gen 4's, 1 xr 30 pro gen 4 over my display. (plus 16 T5's)
one Gen 2 xr30 over my NPS/lPS display. Then one xr15 pro Gen 3 over one of my frag/grow out tanks.
Plus 7-mp40 and 2 mp60 on my display and 2 mp40 on one of my frag/grow out tanks.
Im I just being a jack wagon or does anyone else feel this way??

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s annoying, I was pairing 2 gen 3’s running EcoSmart with one gen 5 running mobius for a while. It actually worked alright, having them run the same program. Then I bought the upgrade chip for my gen 3’s to convert them to mobius, and that works fine too.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 g4 xr30’s and 2 mp10s and don’t want to upgrade because I run them off my WXM on my apex and like that I have it all on one app. For this reason I won’t upgrade I do want a couple mp40s and if I do get them I will just swap the chips out of my mp10 so I can still use them with my WXM

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 g4 xr30’s and 2 mp10s and don’t want to upgrade because I run them off my WXM on my apex and like that I have it all on one app. For this reason I won’t upgrade I do want a couple mp40s and if I do get them I will just swap the chips out of my mp10 so I can still use them with my WXM
I believe the new pumps can actually be downgraded to work.
@Tim at EcoTech

skydirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once you set the light and schedule do you really need to go into it all that often? i wouldn't get rid of an exceptional light just bc you don't want to open another app on occasion. Just my 2 cents but i have some gen 3's on frag but all my new lights (16) are all gen 5's and i'm more than happy with them.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also like ecosmart live better than mobious when adjusting schedule, or I should say I prefer to use mouse than my fat finger to move points.

That said, ecosmart live's mobile app (or website on phone) is PITA. Also I found out that, mobile app to the light is actually more important than I thought. Because I also change the light to take pictures. I created a picture mode on Mobious, and have been adjusting it along with my camera's white balance to get the perfect color rendering. Having it on the phone is definitively a lot more convenient than on a PC.

But I also hate the bluetooth connection. I don't know why everyone say it's better than wifi. It always give me trouble on connecting from time to time. I have 3 Radion and 4 MP40 on my tank. At least once a month, if not per week, one of the light/pump were not responding when I change mode. Radion is relatively better. Vortech got a lot more connection problem in my case. In comparison, I never had connection problem for the 5 years and counting with Radion Gen 4.

So it's really a love hate feeling for me. I would hope to have the mobious app works with wifi and reef link and ecosmart live website. It sucks to have to pick one or the other.

skydirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Should work both ways and I do have issues with a mp not connecting more times than I should. No issue with lights usually but the vortechs all the time

PaulieReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my only issue with the whole gen 5 thing is they WERE compatible, and it's silly to take that feature away. I do however have a full apex setup, and have my mp60s and 4x XR30Pros gen5 running on mobius and hate it, but its kind of a set and forget.

Only thing I hate is I have to turn off the MP60s for feed mode as there is no way to trigger it otherwise.

OP
OP
moonwaxx

moonwaxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I have decided to part ways with radions..I think I will keep the one gen 2 xr30 over my NPS / LPS tank . So I have bit the bullet and bought Orphek V4's. They all should be here in the next week or so. I will still run the T5's with them as I have with the radions.
So I will have 12 gen 4 pros going on the chopping block in the next few weeks.. lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back