Thoughts on enriched brineshrimp?

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, hoping to get peoples thoughts on enriched brineshrimp vs mysis.

I know mysis is supposed to be nutrionally more complete than standard brineshrimp but I wondered if this is at all compensated for by using enriched brine. I buy Gamma brand brineshrimp with 5 different enrichments, plain, aloe vera, spirulina, garlic and omega 3. I also feed Gamma brand mysis occasionally but a lot more of this goes to waste and my mandarin and coral beauty aren't interested in it, I think possibly because the meaty parts are too large for the mandarin and there seems to be a large amount of non meaty bits that come with it, heads, antennae etc. Even my banggai who is an absolute glutton passes on all but the meatiest parts of the mysis.

I always add a vitamin supplement and occasionaly HUFA's and amino acids to the brine whilst defrosting and wondered if this is an acceptable substitute for mysis long-term? I can of course persevere with the mysis feedings and try to train them onto it if its better for them.

Thanks in advance

Nick

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should mix various fish foods together, you will not get all the nutrient your fish need from vitamins mixed with iceberg lettuce.

Here is my usual mix
- Rod's food Fish Eggs
- OVA oyster eggs
- Hikari Spirulina Brine
- Hikari Mysis
- BRS Reef Chilli (4-8 scoops)

If I'm lazy, and I mean shamefully lazy --
- Hikari Spirulina Brine
- Hikari Mysis
- V20 Spirulina Brine & Mysis

I also use:

- AquaForest FishV / Selcon / Selco boost (I alternate)

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should mix various fish foods together, you will not get all the nutrient your fish need from vitamins mixed with iceberg lettuce.

Here is my usual mix
- Rod's food Fish Eggs
- OVA oyster eggs
- Hikari Spirulina Brine
- Hikari Mysis
- BRS Reef Chilli (4-8 scoops)

If I'm lazy, and I mean shamefully lazy --
- Hikari Spirulina Brine
- Hikari Mysis
- V20 Spirulina Brine & Mysis

I also use:

- AquaForest FishV / Selcon / Selco boost (I alternate)
Thanks, I perhaps wasn't very clear but I don't exclusively feed brine shrimp I was just curious about the brine/mysis debate.

I have a feeder for the mandarin which recieves cyclops, baby brine and oyster eggs and I also feed various flake and pellet foods. I have started mixing small pellets in with the brine when I target feed the mandarin to try and ween him onto them too, I also try the same with mysis but so far it most goes to waste hence my question.

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just found one company over here (UK) that stocks PE mysis which I see mentioned on the forums every now and then, I'll maybe try this and see if its higher quality/more appealling.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, apologies -- I interpreted it as only feeding brine.

I don't know the science behind the nutrition value of brine, i've only heard what others have heard -- that it's all but useless as a food source. I will say spirulina brine isn't as bad. THis is brine that have been feed spirulina

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just found one company over here (UK) that stocks PE mysis which I see mentioned on the forums every now and then, I'll maybe try this and see if its higher quality/more appealling.
PE Mysis is gigantic shrimp. Most of my fish wont eat it watch it float by. I watched my midas blenny choking on one, it finally coughed it out. I stopped using it.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE Mysis is gigantic shrimp. Most of my fish wont eat it watch it float by. I watched my midas blenny choking on one, it finally coughed it out. I stopped using it.

Same here -- My fish won't eat them due to size alone.

Additionally, they will not eat PE Mysis pellets, which is a shame... I really wanted them to like those pellets.

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks both, PE mysis isn't cheap over here either as its all imported so I'll give it a miss. Think I'll persevere with the brand I have for now

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back