Thoughts on flow for a 75 Gal tank

ducati1212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I got a Nero 5 pump, mostly just because I really wanted to try it out so I stuck it in for a few weeks and just really liked it. Yesterday I took my MP40 out and got another nero 5 to replace it. So the flow on the tank is now 2 x Nero 5 both running in random pattern 40% up to 80% every few minutes.

So right now I have 1 at 80% and it says 2100 gph flow from the 1 pump.

The tank seems to have even more flow than the MP40 did but does that sound like enough flow for a 4ft tank?

I usually have some other pumps in with my MP40 to remove dead spots (Hydor Koralia's) but I pulled em all out and just have the 2 Nero 5's as the flow seems wider and everything seems to be moving good.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you have ideal flow from just the pair of Nero 5s. The Nero 5s are a lot wider and can be angled slightly, so it's entirely possible that they're giving you just the right flow.

The general rule is that flow from powerheads should be somewhere between 20-40x your display tank volume, but this really depends on many factors like the type of substrate, corals, etc.

OP
OP
D

ducati1212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you have ideal flow from just the pair of Nero 5s. The Nero 5s are a lot wider and can be angled slightly, so it's entirely possible that they're giving you just the right flow.

The general rule is that flow from powerheads should be somewhere between 20-40x your display tank volume, but this really depends on many factors like the type of substrate, corals, etc.

I found the MP40 was great at pushing water from end to end but I had more dead spots. Maybe I just like a new gadget but these little nero 5's are nice low profile and pushing some good water.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back