Thoughts on forum price gauging on hard to get / new release items (aka Neptune Trident)?

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the market is starting to correct itself. As more units have come into supply, the demand to pay over retail is decreasing. I doubt that last listing for $1100 really sold despite what the user said. If you look at the current listings, there have been several BNIB tridents that have not sold for $800 for several days/weeks, so I doubt that one sold for over $300 what others are asking in a few hours.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone can ask whatever they want but some things are just straight up robbery and taking advantage of people that may not realize that the could buy the same product from a vendor within the next few days for the map pricing.
Anyone participating in an internet forum has no excuse to not be informed as to what price other internet retailers charge for a good.
Id also say this forum has no business implementing price controls. People pay what they want, I don’t see how it changes anything that two people of free will choose to transact with each other at an agreed upon price.

ryan265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does NOT bother me the least.
Respectfully, if I see a price I think is crazy, I move on. This is not just a trident specific issue but with homes, cars, food, concessions.....its sort of a norm.
People have the right to ask what they want - we have the right to not pay the asking price.
SUPPLY AND DEMAND HAS STRENGTH WHEN IT COMES TO PRICING.
We have to make educated decisions in this manner.

agreed. Took me like 4 years to get a rainbow chalice...

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone participating in an internet forum has no excuse to not be informed as to what price other internet retailers charge for a good.
Id also say this forum has no business implementing price controls. People pay what they want, I don’t see how it changes anything that two people of free will choose to transact with each other at an agreed upon price.
You know what your right. And I don't know y it bothered me so much.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get them it’s just a pain in the but to constantly keep an eye out. Before I got mine I’d check on the main online retailers & forum threads a few times a day. It sucks but eventually they’re in stock.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The is a difference between profit and greed.
Having said that, it irritates me to see this practice.
People buy up all available stock preventing others from purchasing at retail price (which is high enough as is). Then turn around and add $200 to $400 per unit because they are the only ones that have said product.

That's not capitalism. That's greed.

I've seen tickets for shows be sold out in the first 2 seconds by bots. Those tickets then sold at ridiculous mark ups. I've had this happen to me at my shows. It hurts me. Not because I did not make my ticket sales (I did) but because even though the show was sold out, the crowd is not what is should be and does not Look sold out.
I would imagine it hurts company's like Neptune as well. They struggle to make enough units and a few people snatch up all the stock making it difficult to impossible for customers to get the product. They get their money but lose customers.
It's not right and is not fair.

That's my 2cents.

I purchased a Trident brand new (retail price). I hope people that engage in the buy stock and mark up the price practice get stuck with their purchases and lose their investment because it's built on taking an unfair advantage by mutating supply and demand.
$850 Trident when they retail for $599.
That's just plain old, flat out wrong.

I think you should buy what you need and let others buy what they need.
Just sayin..

Last edited by a moderator:

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the over/under on how many will go up for sale after BRS had them in stock yesterday? :)

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the over/under on how many will go up for sale after BRS had them in stock yesterday? :)
I'm sure you will see a good number of them go straight to the "ForSale" forum.
I own a ReefBot so I don't critically NEED the trident.
But I purchased it because I have an Apex and I WANT it. Not to turn around and sell it for a profit.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it's a dirty move, but I also agree a forum should not do price fixing. Hopefully people have enough sense to not pay the inflated price.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the beauty of a democracy and supply and demand. Would not have it any other way. The alternatives are not pretty.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back