Thoughts on Introducing a Gem Tang

60CubeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyaquatic has them for $900, there's a 15% coupon going on right now. You'll get it for $800 or so.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look around, you can get them for $750 or so. Still a lot of coin for a fish, but nowhere near where they were a few years ago. I remember a thread here where some deluded chap was asking $6K. Suffice it to say, the fish remained his.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look around, you can get them for $750 or so. Still a lot of coin for a fish, but nowhere near where they were a few years ago. I remember a thread here where some deluded chap was asking $6K. Suffice it to say, the fish remained his.
6K is beyond insane

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've taken the plunge and added the Gem. Had it in the acclimation box for two days; mostly ignored. Released it night before last and taped the mirror to one end of the tank. Gem is holding its own. Predictably the purple is objecting the most, and both fish have a few chunks out of their fins. Chevron also tends to be cranky to new additions. Gem is aggressive to the nori clip and eating well. I'm encouraged.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I've taken the plunge and added the Gem. Had it in the acclimation box for two days; mostly ignored. Released it night before last and taped the mirror to one end of the tank. Gem is holding its own. Predictably the purple is objecting the most, and both fish have a few chunks out of their fins. Chevron also tends to be cranky to new additions. Gem is aggressive to the nori clip and eating well. I'm encouraged.

Keep us updated! I'm vicariously gambling through you! Lol

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If still having trouble I'd keep the lights off for a day. That worked when I added a tiny Achilles to my tank. The yellow tang was crazy aggressive and beat the crap out of it so I turned the lights off for a day or day and a half and it hadn't bothered it again

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 40 odd in the tank - more focused on bothering each other than the anthias. Plus, most of my anthias are Bartlett and they don't take much crap from the other fish.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 40 odd in the tank - more focused on bothering each other than the anthias. Plus, most of my anthias are Bartlett and they don't take much crap from the other fish.
Very cool. I need to do a group like that when I upgrade from my 150gal

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank with a lot of very nice fish ! If your having aggression ,May I suggest a fish trap they work very well for greedy tangs !

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, the introduction of the Gem has gone far better than I had feared. I have a longnose black in my refugium that I may try to move up as well (though he's a total wimp, so maybe not).

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM literally has like 20 Gem Tangs in stock right now, all fully quarantined, treated, and conditioned to accept frozen for $849.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM literally has like 20 Gem Tangs in stock right now, all fully quarantined, treated, and conditioned to accept frozen for $849.

$850-900 seems like the 'sweet spot' for Gems these days. Still a ridiculous amount to spend on a fish ..... but there's a lot of ridiculous in this hobby these days :D

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank with a lot of very nice fish ! If your having aggression ,May I suggest a fish trap they work very well for greedy tangs !

Yes they do. Turned out the purple tang became a major problem so I broke out the aqua medic trap. Let it sit there for a day and then sprung it on the purple. He's now in my frag tank and the gem is all healed up in the main display.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back