Thoughts on Introducing a Gem Tang

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gem is a little more than 4” and too big for the frag tank. Tangs in the display include a yellow, purple, desjardini and chevron. Latter two are 6”; former two 5”. Figuring to use my standard introduction approach - acclimation box and a large mirror. My sense is that the gem generally holds its own. Thoughts?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gem is a little more than 4” and too big for the frag tank. Tangs in the display include a yellow, purple, desjardini and chevron. Latter two are 6”; former two 5”. Figuring to use my standard introduction approach - acclimation box and a large mirror. My sense is that the gem generally holds its own. Thoughts?
Gem are more docile than many other zebrasoma tangs. You may have some trouble— an acclimation box is a great idea. Who’s the tank boss? Is it an aggressive tank boss? Could you sump the aggressor?

Zebrasoma tangs don’t generally hold long grudges and can be accepting of new fish in time, unlike many of their evil acanthurus cousins.

Last edited:

Jose H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had one for over a year now. It was the last tang introduced into system. I also had a yellow, scopas, and purple at the time and the Gem was smallest of all. They chased it around for a while but now it’s all good. I would say they can hold their own.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I'd be as nervous as heck with that tang list and new tang that costs that much! I don't know anything about Gem's for obvious reasons but I know you know your fish.

Who do you think might be a problem? I had to rehome my purple after he killed a Gold Rim that was larger than he was. Hope it goes without a hitch!

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is going to hold the proposed Zebrasoma fest?

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added one with a small purple,yellow,hippo and a black tang.i had him in the acc.box for ten days but still had an issue once he was released into the display. the purple was the problem and chased and chased.i caught him and put him in the qt system for two weeks and then added him back in with not problems.ime purples always seem to be the bully.with the price of a gem I would not risk a butt whipping and remove the tangs if possible.it may work without doing so but not worth the risk imo.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping that, since the tank is so large and there are so many fishes, the new tang won't be noticed much.

Good luck.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I'd be as nervous as heck with that tang list and new tang that costs that much! I don't know anything about Gem's for obvious reasons but I know you know your fish.

Who do you think might be a problem? I had to rehome my purple after he killed a Gold Rim that was larger than he was. Hope it goes without a hitch!

That's why I've procrastinated for so long. I had a zebra in the refugium forever, and finally got up the courage to add him in, and it went fine. But he's the only Acanthurus. Generally the purple and yellow spend most of their time hassling each other, so am hopeful the gem will be mostly ignored. The sailfin is a bit of a wildcard, he mostly just minds his own business, but every now and then goes insane (and he hates my arm). Curiously the chevron actually makes a fuss, though usually not for too long. In my 450, none of them are realistically catchable.

Am going away for a week before the 4th, so won't do anything until after I get back. But I think the box plus idiot mirror will be what I do and will monitor.

60CubeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a purple, yellow, and desjardini newly moved into the tank for about a month before I put in my gem. The three original tangs would occasionally spar, but nothing serious. I put the gem in at night--the next morning there was some posturing when the lights came on, and the purple had it corralled into one corner of the tank. However, as the day went on, the gem got more and more bold, and would start giving as good as it got from the purple. All 4 are about the same size, ~3".

It's been a few days now, none the worse for wear on any of them.

Been thinking about adding an Achilles and PBT to the mix. Exciting times ahead!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back