Thoughts on lighting an IM lagoon 25 with AI blades

Texx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
So I'm downsizing to a smaller tank for a number of reasons and I also want to change the lighting. I've already decided on going with the AI blades and part of the reason is I want to keep as much light in the tank as possible, plus I've always liked strip-style lights and I like the color and the app (already have the nero and return pump). I know I can't keep literally all of the light in the tanks as that's not really doable w/out a canopy, but no more illuminating the entire living room.

Right now I have two Red Sea LED 50s on my larger tank-- I used to have the Current Orbit lights on a smaller tank, and they were OK, but not good enough to go back to. Just one of the RedSea lights would do on the new tank, but I don't see much change in the amount of light spillage. I'd love some thoughts and feedback on some possible solutions from anyone who has the blade lights or has seen them in person...

One 21" with either the tank rests or the AI elevated tank mount
I'm really unsure about the spread of these lights and I can't tell if just one would suffice. Yes the tank mount is elevated and light would get out, but maybe the spread isn't as much as the spotlight style lights? Or basically anything 7" or more? I had two 18" current lights custom mounted about 5" above the surface of a 17g nano and there wasn't a whole lot of light outside the tank, but, the spread on those light was pretty narrow (which is also why I had two).

Two 21" using the tank rests
So part of the appeal of a lagoon tank is the top view, and while this setup would obstruct the view a little it's probably the best option to keep as much light in the tank as possible, and in case one light isn't enough.

One or two 12" using either the AI elevated tank mounts or mod the Current USA extension arm and AI clips
I'm curious about the spread of these lights. While these would be higher off the surface the 12" length might not spread as far out on the sides, keeping more light in the tank. The height of the Current mount can be adjusted

The expense would only be temporary and I think I could recover most of the cost after selling the two RedSea lights, tank, stand, and sump.

Sorry if this is long, but thanks for reading!

P.S. It's a mixed reef

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Blades would probably do just what you're looking for. Notice I said "Blades", plural. IMO, you need to have at least two of them to get the "full blue" spectrum. With a light like a Prime or a Hydra, you got whites, blues and violets in a single fixture. With the Blade, you basically get whites and blues (Grow), or blues and violets (Glow). If you want it all, you need one of each.

The beauty of the Blade is the spread and coverage. I'd say a pair of 21" (Grow and Glow) mounted 3-4" off the water would cover pretty well without putting too much light out into the room. Depending on the mounts, it might be a pain getting in and out of the tank, having to remove the light every time, but there are tradeoffs for everything. If you want lights mounted low you'll just have to deal with it.

OP
OP
T

Texx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Blades would probably do just what you're looking for. Notice I said "Blades", plural. IMO, you need to have at least two of them to get the "full blue" spectrum. With a light like a Prime or a Hydra, you got whites, blues and violets in a single fixture. With the Blade, you basically get whites and blues (Grow), or blues and violets (Glow). If you want it all, you need one of each.

The beauty of the Blade is the spread and coverage. I'd say a pair of 21" (Grow and Glow) mounted 3-4" off the water would cover pretty well without putting too much light out into the room. Depending on the mounts, it might be a pain getting in and out of the tank, having to remove the light every time, but there are tradeoffs for everything. If you want lights mounted low you'll just have to deal with it.
Hey thanks!
Yeah I'm going to have to make a tradeoff somewhere, just haven't decided what...
I think I'm going to get them and play around with some mounting options. Thanks again

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back