Thoughts on methods of eliminating water changes ?

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, with all due respect to all involved, where did that come from?
Meant it as a light hearted comment in response to Paul's own comments. It wasn't sarcasm.

He has a tank that has been running well for 40 years, and attributed some of that success to his RUGF, so I wanted to know more about it.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... I think we should think of a system that will last our lifetime with no crashes or having to take everything out for maintenance. A RUGF is that system.

... That is a natural system and I strive for a natural system. If I move a rock in my tank I will see amphipods and brittle stars running all over the place just as I notice in the sea. Another proof of a natural system.

That first part above is great. It likely seems absurd, given my tank is about two months old, but that is exactly what I would like to be striving for at least...

TbyZ, I don't think there would be as much benefit of using the RUGF in a sump although it would be better than a glass bottom.
The best part of the RUGF in the main display is that you will never see any detritus at all as it breaks up and goes into the gravel to be ground down to nothing and the creatures will degrade it because they have the oxygen to do it.

Hmm, do you think it would still be worth doing in a refugium though? I have a separate 40g refugium. It has sand and love rock and stuff in it at the moment. Would adding a RUFG boost biodiversity in the system? That would be my goal for it.

Tony

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would boost bio diversity no matter where you put it, that is the biggest advantage of a RUGF. :D

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would boost bio diversity no matter where you put it, that is the biggest advantage of a RUGF. :D

Ok, so I went and got a scholarly text to get some hard facts about all of this. According to Baldassano* it has to be gravel, and no sand [P. 81; Baldassano, Paul. The Avant-Garde Marine Aquarist . Saltwater Smarts, 2015] .

So, that means you don't go in for mud either (Miracle or otherwise)?

Tony

*When we're talking about experts we just use their last names. Unlike celebrities, where we just use their first names**.

**Celebrity couples have to share one name. But expert couples get to keep both I think.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's correct, you need gravel. But I do add some mud from the sea occasionally just to provide bacteria which may not be needed but I am big on bacteria. Just a few tablespoons.
This is for A Reverse UG filter. If you want to go with another system, you are on your own as I consider this one the best. But that is only my opinion and I am not the God of fish tanks. :D

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back