Thoughts on moonlighting?

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if it's worth setting up a moonlight mood on my lighting. What's everyone's thoughts on this and is there any pros and cons about it.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my own moon lights with a basic led driver and blue leds. I have my apex run them on the moon program and I enjoy it.

Benefits? No clue for the coral or fish other than more closely resembling nature. If you can do the apex kit it does adjust intensity to match the moon too. Definitely gives you lore viewable hours and all the creatures come out in the moon light.

Scientists that study the coral reproduction use temperature and moon light to trigger spawning events. So definitely some benefits but how they translate to us in the hobby, unsure.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about leaving the moonlight on all night? I've seen a lot of posts that suggest that the moonlight mode simulates natural nighttime lighting. I don't really think that's the case. I've done a lot of night diving, and when your down there, it's DARK! I have a beer sign that stays on all night (as kind of a night light) and I'm sure that is more than enough lighting. Just my opinion. I've never seen where it does any harm though.

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about leaving the moonlight on all night? I've seen a lot of posts that suggest that the moonlight mode simulates natural nighttime lighting. I don't really think that's the case. I've done a lot of night diving, and when your down there, it's DARK! I have a beer sign that stays on all night (as kind of a night light) and I'm sure that is more than enough lighting. Just my opinion. I've never seen where it does any harm though.
This. Even during the full moon (which is only one night a month after all) it is basically pitch black to the human eye.

On coral spawning dives we used to turn off our lights for a minute just for fun. Pitch black.

And of course most nights there is no moonlight at all in nature, let alone the screaming bright blue spotlights we call "moon light" in the hobby :)

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have AI Hydra 26 HDs and have the moonlight cycle on, (set at 3%) and have noticed that my corals and fish respond to it. My corals, Trachys and Scoli on the new moon dark cycle extend polyps and tentacles more. My Banggais recently spawned on the dark cycle.
So, I think that it does benefit them in having the natural day/night cycle.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A video where scientists made corals spawn with an apex moonlight had the moonlight about 4 feet away to do it. Not sure their cycle. Maybe mimicked nature.

jaiken1120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if it's worth setting up a moonlight mood on my lighting. What's everyone's thoughts on this and is there any pros and cons about it.
From my experience I feel a complete blackout period at night helps with proper coral growth and reproductive activities.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love working on the side for CASH taking money away from the company I work for....

lololololololololol

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
News years day is over lol

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomb85

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a maxspect 420r razor 180w. I have it programmed for the day cycle and have a moonlight cycle running on 3% blue only at the moment.

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have AI Hydra 26 HDs and have the moonlight cycle on, (set at 3%) and have noticed that my corals and fish respond to it. My corals, Trachys and Scoli on the new moon dark cycle extend polyps and tentacles more. My Banggais recently spawned on the dark cycle.
So, I think that it does benefit them in having the natural day/night cycle.
How long are you leaving it on?

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actual moonlight whenever it comes through comes through in only the shallowest waters and even then it’s not even blue it’s purely white lol I think it’s sham.

Back