Thoughts on parameters

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I was hoping to get some feedback on my current tank parameters. The tank has been established for 2 years and is roughly 180 gallons. Had lots of success with softies and torches but every sps i put in, weather a monti or an acro die off. Tank parameters are pretty stable as you can see below. Should I be concerned with PH being so low? Dont necessarily want to chase a number if I dont have to by adding Kalk or something. I currently dose two part for Cal and Alk and manually add Mag as needed. Nitrate is pretty consistent at 5-10 ppm and Phosphate is generally around .1ppm but has been as high as .18ppm. Anything stick out in the data below?

I usually start them lower in the tank. around 125 par and slowly move them up to around 200 par. Tried them at 250+ but they bleach. So they either bleach or turn brown has been my experience. Currently running AB+ with 4 AI HD26 LEDs. Have the intensity toned down a bit so that i am ranging between 75-125 on the sand bed. top of aqua scape ranges between 190-250 par

Thanks for taking the time to review and provide feedback! Really appreciate it
1620237018368.png

I feel like flow is ok and I am using 2 MP40s in anti sync. Not sure the best way to share info on this TBH.

PH
1620234791725.png
Salinity
1620234917339.png

Temp
1620234952858.png

ALK - The dip was me testing alk on my fresh batch of SW - Generally stays in teh 8.2 range
1620235022802.png

Cal
1620235123722.png

MAG
1620236713539.png

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm....

It took me awhile with SPS also. Montipora are about the easiest (in my experience) but Pocillipora is good too. Birds nests can really take off but a change in conditions especially alkalinity can toast them.

Acropora are the hardest and they LIKE stability. You might try putting in a doser for ALK. ALK seems to be the parameter that they are the fussiest about. Calcium not so much as long as it is over 400 you are good. Magnesium seems to be the least.

Your flow and lighting look OK, I use AI lighting and I use MP40s. I figure the flow in my tank at about 50 fold turnover per hour.

I think your nitrate and phosphate are kinda high. I run nitrate pretty low generally below 1 ppm and phosphate at below .03 ppm.

Lately my acropora have been doing pretty well. I went to doing 10% + water changes about every week and I wonder if that is it.

It is hard to figure these things. Sometimes I think I need to do my incantations by the light of the new moon to get things right.

OP
OP
rustyreefer

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm....

It took me awhile with SPS also. Montipora are about the easiest (in my experience) but Pocillipora is good too. Birds nests can really take off but a change in conditions especially alkalinity can toast them.

Acropora are the hardest and they LIKE stability. You might try putting in a doser for ALK. ALK seems to be the parameter that they are the fussiest about. Calcium not so much as long as it is over 400 you are good. Magnesium seems to be the least.

Your flow and lighting look OK, I use AI lighting and I use MP40s. I figure the flow in my tank at about 50 fold turnover per hour.

I think your nitrate and phosphate are kinda high. I run nitrate pretty low generally below 1 ppm and phosphate at below .03 ppm.

Lately my acropora have been doing pretty well. I went to doing 10% + water changes about every week and I wonder if that is it.

It is hard to figure these things. Sometimes I think I need to do my incantations by the light of the new moon to get things right.
thanks for the feedback. I am currently auto dosing Alk and Cal through Neptune DOS.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back