Thoughts on Stocking a 65g Reef for a Classroom

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I haven't messed with a saltwater aquarium or been on the forum for quite some time, but was recently donated a reef-ready 65gallon Oceanic aquarium for my classroom. The lights and the sump (bioball) will need to be updated, but otherwise it seems to be good to go.

Back when I used to mess with saltwater a lot, zoanthids were kind of my thing, but I'd be pretty leery of putting a lot of those into a classroom aquarium that students will have access to.

So I'm looking for advice on corals that are currently available, don't cost a fortune and are hardy enough for a classroom setting.

TIA

cbc4447

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a classroom I would do Xenia, GSP, Kenya tree, etc. They look great moving in the flow and are super low maintenance.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go softies as well, xenia, gsp, and several varieties of leather corals are all pretty easy to keep. I would also consider mushrooms and perhaps some easy to keep anemones.

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia and GSP maybe on small islands of rock. I like their pulsing, but all three of those, especially the Kenya tree, while low maintenance are way too invasive for a nice reef.

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mushrooms and maybe a leather. If I remember correctly, don't some of the leathers secret substances that inhibit or kill other corals? What about fish? No Damsels - hate those little devils.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be little skeptical putting zoas or palys in a classroom tank. If you are funding the tank, I'd stick to softies mostly. Maybe get few LPS like trumpet, euphyllias, duncan. I am sure your local reef club would gladly help with coral donations.

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be little skeptical putting zoas or palys in a classroom tank. If you are funding the tank, I'd stick to softies mostly. Maybe get few LPS like trumpet, euphyllias, duncan. I am sure your local reef club would gladly help with coral donations.
Yeah, maybe a few of the more durable types, but generally a coral to avoid I think. No local reef club any longer unfortunately and no local LFS for a source, so regardless of choices everything will have to be imported. Tank should be stable, as I'll be able to set it up with a chiller, but as always in the classroom, there is risk of "foreign" objects getting introduced.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome back bud!! Long time no see! :)

I would get a nice pair of clowns and then on down the road a bit maybe an anemone. Kids would love to see that! Plus you might get to explain the birds and the bees a little! HA!

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back bud!! Long time no see! :)

I would get a nice pair of clowns and then on down the road a bit maybe an anemone. Kids would love to see that! Plus you might get to explain the birds and the bees a little! HA!

Hey Rev, good to be back! I was a bit hesitant when the tank was offered, but the more I think about about it the more exciting it seems. Clowns are definitely a possibility, but I'm also thinking about some of the rock flower nems, and if I go that route, then I probably won't do the clowns. I'd like to do a goby/shrimp pair and maybe some wrasse (can't resist those lol).

Bdrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think children would get a real kick out of symbiotic relationships like goby/pistol shrimp and clownfish/anemone.

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to why no clowns in a rock nem tank?

The clowns will try and host the nems and IME the rock flower nems don't respond well to that.

I think children would get a real kick out of symbiotic relationships like goby/pistol shrimp and clownfish/anemone.

High school students, but yes I'm sure they would like both a shrimp/goby combo and a clownfish/new combo. I'll have to give some thought to that. The nem would have to be added down the road as Rev said, once things stabilized. What is a good long term nem that doesn't get too big and move around much?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rev, good to be back! I was a bit hesitant when the tank was offered, but the more I think about about it the more exciting it seems. Clowns are definitely a possibility, but I'm also thinking about some of the rock flower nems, and if I go that route, then I probably won't do the clowns. I'd like to do a goby/shrimp pair and maybe some wrasse (can't resist those lol).
How old are the kids? I don't know if you could put anything better than Nemo and Marlin inside of a classroom tank.

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are the kids? I don't know if you could put anything better than Nemo and Marlin inside of a classroom tank.

Students are juniors and seniors in high school, but also have freshman and sophomores as well.

Bdrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns will try and host the nems and IME the rock flower nems don't respond well to that.

High school students, but yes I'm sure they would like both a shrimp/goby combo and a clownfish/new combo. I'll have to give some thought to that. The nem would have to be added down the road as Rev said, once things stabilized. What is a good long term nem that doesn't get too big and move around much?
Carpet Nems are the only I've kept that didn't choose their own spot in the tank, but most can grow pretty big. I'm quite fond of bubble tips but I have no personal experience with them so I will leave that to someone who does.

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpet Nems are the only I've kept that didn't choose their own spot in the tank, but most can grow pretty big. I'm quite fond of bubble tips but I have no personal experience with them so I will leave that to someone who does.

Yep I've had a carpet nem and those things can get big enough to take over the whole tank. Bubbles I've tried and they tend to move around a lot - often ending up in a pump sometime in the process.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back