Thoughts on Teopic Marin’s All-For-Reef?

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’ve been dosing red sea mag and calcium and adding sea chem alkalinity separately. Have heard some good things about all-for-reef so I just have to dose one supplement, does anyone have experience with it and how I should dose in a 40 gallon with LPS and some softies?

Currently parameters are great:
Temp: 78F
Ph: 8.0
Salinity: 1.025
Alkalinity 8.5
Mag: 1350
Calcium: 420
Phosphates .08-.1
Nitrates: 15-20ppm
nitrites & ammonia: 0

Thanks in advance!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like all methods, AFR has its pros (primarily convenience) and cons (cost and no pH boost). It’s a fine way to go in most instances except automated alk measurement and dosing.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like all methods, AFR has its pros (primarily convenience) and cons (cost and no pH boost). It’s a fine way to go in most instances except automated alk measurement and dosing.
what do you mean by automated alk measurement and dosing? Are you saying I need to add alk separately?

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t test it right away. I believe it needs a bacterial reaction/component to convert it into useable alk which takes time.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you mean by automated alk measurement and dosing? Are you saying I need to add alk separately?

I mean a machine that tests alk for you and then dispenses a dose for you based on that measurement. AFR is not optimal in that use due to alk not being immediately detectable.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean a machine that tests alk for you and then dispenses a dose for you based on that measurement. AFR is not optimal in that use due to alk not being immediately detectable.
ohhh okay I see I see. Well I need to invest in one of those, it reads and then doses accordingly? I’ve been doing this the hard way all along lol

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFR is hands down the best thing I've started dosing that made a huge difference in all of my corals. I've been using it for about a year now. I have a mixed reef and pretty even split of acros/sps, lps, softies, BTA and a maxima clam and all have done well since adding AFR.

I have a 90g and dose 45ml a day spread out over 24 hours. That keeps all my parameters nice and stable. I use the powdered version you mix yourself.

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take to be detectable, roughly? I still manually test my alk daily and adjust my a4r dose based on that. Am I doing it wrong? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 100 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back