Thoughts on this protein skimmer?

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar style skimmer in my Red Sea nano and it works, but I'm not super impressed. I'd stick with a traditional conical shaped skimmer. As mentioned the Simiplicty is a good skimmer for the price (I used a 240dc on my last tank) and I'd also suggest an Icecap (which I use now).

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankjs for that.. They are DC, though. Im' pretty clueless on that. What other equipment do I need since I have only AC outlets.
Looks like a good skimmer and fits in my space. It is a 60 gallon reef. Just fish now but probably corals later.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankjs for that.. They are DC, though. Im' pretty clueless on that. What other equipment do I need since I have only AC outlets.
Looks like a good skimmer and fits in my space. It is a 60 gallon reef. Just fish now but probably corals later.
Uses a regular power outlet, but the pump itself is DC so there's a power adapter brick included. A DC pump has the advantage of being adjustable which can sometimes make tuning the skimmer easier.

For a 60g tank, the Simplicity 120dc should be great, the Icecap I mentioned it probably a bit large. Another option if you want to spend more is the Reef Octopus 110sss

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uses a regular power outlet, but the pump itself is DC so there's a power adapter brick included. A DC pump has the advantage of being adjustable which can sometimes make tuning the skimmer easier.

For a 60g tank, the Simplicity 120dc should be great, the Icecap I mentioned it probably a bit large. Another option if you want to spend more is the Reef Octopus 110sss
THANK YOU!. I'm going to get the simplicity. My tank will likely always be a Orange SPot file tank wiht some other fish.. and some coral. I mentioned reef tank, but likely mostly a moderate populated fish with some coral. And i like a sale lol :)

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANK YOU!. I'm going to get the simplicity. My tank will likely always be a Orange SPot file tank wiht some other fish.. and some coral. I mentioned reef tank, but likely mostly a moderate populated fish with some coral. And i like a sale lol :)
What do you feed your orange-spotted file fish?? VCould sure use some advice...Thanks

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed your orange-spotted file fish?? VCould sure use some advice...Thanks
I feed my orange spot blood worms and brine shrimp along with a daily cube of masstik that he loves!! He's been quite healthy. I think the masstik is an absolute must. I get mine from BRS already formed into pliable cubes instead of the powder.

Back