Thoughts on this QT setup?

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a new tank and want to set up a QT. Saw this and seemed like a good deal as you get a light, filter, heater, and a 29g 30” tank for $65. Am I missing anything? Would the 55g 48” be better (would be more medication)? Going to have some tangs in it at some point.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large of a tang are you QTing?

Ultimately, all you need is a tank, heater, some type of water movement (many use sponge filters or HOB filters to accomplish flow and use seeded material to process ammonia), some spots for the fish to hide (usually pieces of PVC), and ways to measure/dose any medications. What you have listed will work for a QT if you added some PVC pieces and bought any of the meds/testers you're going to be using, assuming you're not trying to QT too large of a fish.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large of a tang are you QTing?

Ultimately, all you need is a tank, heater, some type of water movement (many use sponge filters or HOB filters to accomplish flow and use seeded material to process ammonia), some spots for the fish to hide (usually pieces of PVC), and ways to measure/dose any medications. What you have listed will work for a QT if you added some PVC pieces and bought any of the meds/testers you're going to be using, assuming you're not trying to QT too large of a fish.
Will be juvenile tangs. Trying to plan everything still To plan to add a juvenile blue, yellow, and purple.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Just make sure the tank is large enough and can handle the massive bioload from three tangs. Otherwise, good job planning! There's some great articles on here about QT if you want some extra reading material.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Just make sure the tank is large enough and can handle the massive bioload from three tangs. Otherwise, good job planning! There's some great articles on here about QT if you want some extra reading material.
I ended up buying it and will pick it up tomorrow. Seemed like too good of a deal to pass up and still cheaper than what I would pay if Petco was doing a $1 per gallon sale. I think I read most of the different guides here on R2R on this. The two things I’m still researching is 1). If I can just dose Polylab Medic versus all these other medications and 2). If I should set up multiple QTs for the tangs. I would like to introduce all the tangs at once but that may be difficult given our current times and the current livestock we have.

shadesatsetbreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two qt tanks. I don't recommend larger than 29gal because if NFG powder ( or any medication that requires frequent water changes, really) is part of your routine as it is for mine, you'll end up blowing through a lot of meds, salt, and water.
I got one dollar Petco tanks. I use fluval HOB filters which are reasonably cheap for filtration and aeration, cuz I personally hate sponge filters. I use a small jebao powerhead to keep water moving and eheim heater.
All the parts are easy to clean and dry quickly. No real need for lights but I have a small led strip light that I can turn on whenever I need to observe.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back