Thoughts on using a "non-aquarium" transfer pump for water changes?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to think about giving up hauling 5G jugs up the stairs for weekly water changes (as much as I enjoy the workout) and considering using a pump to go from my basement to the first floor. My rough estimates are about 100' of horizontal run and about 20' of vertical rise, so the head on the pump needs to be fairly high. If I look at submersible or external pumps for aquariums, any pumps with sufficient head are really expensive.

But lurking around other places, I've found a FloTec transfer pump that uses standard garden hose fittings, and from what I can tell the pump impeller and housing (where the water flows through) is thermoplastic. It's also way cheaper ($110) but max head is 43' and around 145GPH at 30'.

Does anyone have experience or thoughts on using a "non-aquarium" specific pump? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically they have steel impeller shafts and hardware. Does not mean you can’t use them short term. Just rinse thourghly after use with fresh water. I would not use one for mixing water or anything where it was in saltwater for very long.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically they have steel impeller shafts and hardware. Does not mean you can’t use them short term. Just rinse thourghly after use with fresh water. I would not use one for mixing water or anything where it was in saltwater for very long.
Thanks @laverda My thought was to use it exclusively for moving fresh SW to the tank and I appreciate the reminder to rinse with freshwater when done. One of the reasons holding me back is whether cleaning up a lot of hose and a pump is worth it.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been toying with the idea of doing the same from my garage to the 2nd floor office above that houses the display.
I hadnt gotten as far as researching pumps. Still in the design phase.
Going to run a pvc line to the upstairs closet with a spigot at the end and another larger hole next to it with a bell housing for a drain in the rare case its left on or comes alive at night.

I assume youre going to be pumping salt water upstairs so i would try to verify there are no exposed metal pieces.

Edit:
Noticed youre considering a temporary setup that will need to be setup each time.
Ever thought of a semi permanant install?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been toying with the idea of doing the same from my garage to the 2nd floor office above that houses the display.
I hadnt gotten as far as researching pumps. Still in the design phase.
Going to run a pvc line to the upstairs closet with a spigot at the end and another larger hole next to it with a bell housing for a drain in the rare case its left on or comes alive at night.

I assume youre going to be pumping salt water upstairs so i would try to verify there are no exposed metal pieces.

Edit:
Noticed youre considering a temporary setup that will need to be setup each time.
Ever thought of a semi permanant install?
Hi @Saltyreef I’d love to do something more permanent, and my mixing station is “permanent” but both the basement and first floor are fully finished. I’d like to run pvc pipe but the basement ceiling area is already finished out (drywall). There’s a slim possibility of putting in a quick connect or something in a closet on the first floor which I’m trying to figure out. Also considering moving my mixing station to the garage which would put everything on the same level but I need to work through some other issues and Chicago winters!

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard non-aquarium pumps can have oils in them as lubricant that could be harmful to aquatic life. I know someone on another forum who nuked a mature, healthy tank when the pump broke somehow and started seeping oil into the water. Not sure if this is true for all pumps though or if you can find a safe one.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard non-aquarium pumps can have oils in them as lubricant that could be harmful to aquatic life. I know someone on another forum who nuked a mature, healthy tank when the pump broke somehow and started seeping oil into the water. Not sure if this is true for all pumps though or if you can find a safe one.
@saltcats thanks for the heads up. I checked and they use lithium grease. So I guess my option would be to strip down the pump and somehow get all of the grease out, and replace with something else.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltcats thanks for the heads up. I checked and they use lithium grease. So I guess my option would be to strip down the pump and somehow get all of the grease out, and replace with something else.

This may or may not be sufficent for the temp and rpms.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is located in the basement I would consider taping into the home drain lines. With the right plumbing you cam use your existing return pump to pump directly into your homes drain system. Here is a diagram to what I used for my last system. I used this method for 3 years without any issues. Its just a matter tapping into your homes drain system. I tapped in by removing a cleanout cap so there was no modification needed to the home plumbing system.

water change pump out method.png

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is located in the basement I would consider taping into the home drain lines. With the right plumbing you cam use your existing return pump to pump directly into your homes drain system. Here is a diagram to what I used for my last system. I used this method for 3 years without any issues. Its just a matter tapping into your homes drain system. I tapped in by removing a cleanout cap so there was no modification needed to the home plumbing system.

water change pump out method.png
@AlexG thanks for the reply. My situation is the opposite. The tank is on the main level and the mixing station is in the basement. So I have to raise the water around 20 feet vertically and then have to include head loss due to pipe size, fittings etc.

I like the idea of using the return pump to pump water out though.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back