Thoughts on Xtra85? (Calcium chlordie)

Feivel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1390054310.291647.jpg

Anyone have any exp with this stuff?? I mean other than de-icing their driveways :). I received a large amount and was wondering if i could dose this to my tank? 82-87% flake

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to my research a couple years ago, there was only one mine sourcing CaCl here in the USA. It's contaminant profile is well known and acceptable for our uses with known restrictions (do your water changes!!).

CaCl from other mines (necessarily not from USA) will definitely have different contaminant profiles and there no reason to assume it would be favorable without checking.

Made in USA actually means something in this case. If your is not, do a little research before you assume the material is safe. Made in USA is not hard to find, btw...

-Matt

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed you indicated quebec...not sure how easy Made in USA salt will be to find if that's where you are. You would ideally like to see an assay of the material in question if it not from the USA mine. The manufacturer may have had one done, or have acces to one from the mining outfit. Lacking that, you're performing an experiment kind of in the dark.

-Matt

Back