Thousands of baby snails

Steve Wallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank for about a year now. Everything is going well (with some minor hiccups along the way). For the past month, I've noticed thousands of baby snails all over my system. When I look at the tank before the lights turn on, they are almost completely covering the glass and the back wall. I took one out and did confirm that it is a white baby snail with a small shell.

My question is: Is there any downside in having this many baby snails in the tank? I know they produce waste and consume waste, but just want to make sure that it's ok to have this many. My tank is 6 feet long and I've counted at least a few thousand on the glass and back wall. My best guess is that there are between 1,200 to 3,000 baby snails in my tank.

Thanks in advance.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely collonista snails. They’re common. Certain wrasse may eat them. I find they go away as the tank ages. Never found them to be a problem aside from aesthetics. Do you have close up pics?

OP
OP
S

Steve Wallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7980.JPG

Here you go. I tried to zoom in as much as I could.

OP
OP
S

Steve Wallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't mind them. They are only really out when the lights are off. I just want to make sure that this many snails isn't going to mess with the parameters of the tank.

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snails are part of your clean up crew. There's no way they negatively impact bioload since you aren't feeding them. Some of the added nutrient mass in the tank which would otherwise be taken up by algae is being converted into snail bodies instead.

I suppose they might have a slight effect on calcium levels due to shell building though. Just test periodically.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back