Thread idea - to assist people in buying fish

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching this movie https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/film-shows-the-disastrous-effects-of-cyanide-collection.254058/

I've decided that I will not buy another wild captured fish, ever. When I buy the livestock for my 65 I'm going to research each one to make sure it's been captive bred and tank raised.

Do we have a list on R2R or can we get one put together that can be used as a guide when fish shopping? A captive bred list and a wild caught list. For example the firefish are wild caught. I have one and I really love this particular fish, but I will not support this method of wild capture again. So what do you all think?

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading and reading. Am I to understand most livestock are wild caught and at minimum tank raised, or am I being misinformed? Is captive breeding really that difficult/new?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We (hobbyists) have stunted the growth of available captive bred species because we don't want to pony up and pay more for the "same fish". Point in case, mandarins. We were willing to pay an extra $15 when we thought they would come to us eating frozen. We weren't willing to pay it when the only difference was their source of origin. In my opinion, it's our shame and it will bite us in the bootie. The reason we don't have tonnes of captive breds everywhere, is because we don't want to pay for it. Eventually we won't have a choice but to buy captive breds if we want fish, problem is the selection will be a whole lot smaller than it could be if we had of been better supporters of the movement.

This isn't the only reason, of course. It's just no matter what breeding obstacles we overcome to get them to market..... we still gotta deal with the "cheap market" in the end.

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get my tank up and running, I plan on it being stocked almost exclusively with captive-bred/tank-raised organisms. I may make an exception for a tang to help with algae and provide more motion and fish poop. Coming from the reptile hobby where almost anything you would want is captive bred (if sometimes really pricey), it's a little disheartening to see so much coming out of the wild in the marine hobby. Of course, I also understand that breeding marine fish is often much more difficult than breeding reptiles and amphibians.

Cheers,
rant

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back