Yellow x Purple = Yurple!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nutramar Foods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're a Zebrasoma fish ultra geek (like most of us), you've heard the term “Yurple Tang” in hushed tones. If you're a budding fish geek who hasn't heard of it, today's your lucky day. Tangs (or surgeonfish) are immensely popular in aquariums for their amazing colors, high activity, good durability and unsurpassed appetites for a variety of nuisance algae species. As a result, they have been on the list of fish everyone was hoping would be aquacultured someday and a few years back, against all odds and through a laundry list of seemingly insurmountable factors, it was finally done (which is another story, but one you can read about here on our website). Never one to rest on their laurels, Bali Aquarich then took this one breathtaking step further, and hybridized two of the world's most popular species, the always stunning Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens) native to the waters of Hawaii and the rare and uber-desirable Puple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) native to the portions of the Indian Ocean and the Red Sea. Unlike many wild hybrids that we occasionally see, these two species are separated by thousands of miles and will never have the opportunity to hybridize in the wild, meaning that these captive bred fish are the only ones to ever exist!
2316337 2-22-24.jpg
Both these parent species are hardy in the home aquarium given enough space, flow, and good nutrition. Space and flow are just a matter of hardware, but getting these fish adequate nutrition was a failing point for many aquarists before the advent of really well rounded, high quality processed foods. They are often (and erroneously) described as living almost entirely off algae, and while this is an important part of their diet, they consume an incredible amount of protein from the little invertebrates living in those algae. This fact was a common oversight among early tang keepers and that fact alone gave these fish an undeserved reputation for being difficult to keep. We feed our Yurples (and all the other Tangs here) a mix of Nutramar Foods, starting with the Algae and Color Boost Shots and Pellets. Click here to learn more

5316337 2-22-24.jpg

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that they're a rare hybridization, but IMO both the standard Yellow and Purple Tangs look far better. And though neither is cheap, their prices pale in comparison to the $10K I've seen the Yurple Tangs going for. To each their own, but I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Now an overpriced Clarion Angel? As soon as I hit the lottery, sign me up!

Richsoar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't particularly like the coloration, looks like a very badly bruised Yellow Tang.
If its a 50/50 hybrid of the Purple and Yellow Tangs how did they come up with Yurple? Shouldn't it be a Purlow or a Yelple? May be even a PurYel or YelPur.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep chasing "different" you end up with fish like bubble eye two tail gold fish and dogs like pugs.

Koi tangs, designer clowns all just look deformed to me.

You want to spend 10k on an ugly fish, go for it. But dont expect me to get excited.

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't particularly like the coloration, looks like a very badly bruised Yellow Tang.
If its a 50/50 hybrid of the Purple and Yellow Tangs how did they come up with Yurple? Shouldn't it be a Purlow or a Yelple? May be even a PurYel or YelPur.
I wish people would stop messing with nature and making frankinsten fish, they are horrid

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everyone has an opinion concerning the Yurples.

I will tell you as a long time reefer I don't particularly care where the clown market has gone. However as hobbiest I do truly believe that the sustainability of the hobby is in captive breeding. So I'm all for captive breeding.

The Yurple from my understanding was not an attempt to create a cross. The cross happened unfortunately. Mr. Su from my understanding was trying to raise captive bred purple tangs. He happened however to have a few yellows from Hawaii in the concrete vat with the purples. So I believe he was surprised when he saw a lighter color offspring.

I had the opportunity, money and presence, to purchase a Yurple from MACNA In 2021. I've maintained a Instagram page for him, Jake, to document his coloring changes. I will say pictures and videos don't do him justice. His coloring keeps getting bolder every day.

I also look at my purchase of him as an investment in captive breeding of marine fish. I Purchased him directly from Biota.

From my research this fish was a one off and I don't believe there is an attempt to create more. I could be wrong but I don't believe I am.

Would these Zebrasomas have crossed in the wild probably,yes, if they were located by each other. That's what makes marine life so interesting, we're always discovering new things.

That's what I love about Jake each day I get to see his coloring change. It's a new adventure.

Is the price crazy? Yes it is, but the demand is what keeps it there.

cliff076

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that they're a rare hybridization, but IMO both the standard Yellow and Purple Tangs look far better. And though neither is cheap, their prices pale in comparison to the $10K I've seen the Yurple Tangs going for. To each their own, but I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Now an overpriced Clarion Angel? As soon as I hit the lottery, sign me up!
Agreed, yurple look like a dirty yellow or purple tang. $10,000 is just insane to me.

Barncat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everyone has an opinion concerning the Yurples.

I will tell you as a long time reefer I don't particularly care where the clown market has gone. However as hobbiest I do truly believe that the sustainability of the hobby is in captive breeding. So I'm all for captive breeding.

The Yurple from my understanding was not an attempt to create a cross. The cross happened unfortunately. Mr. Su from my understanding was trying to raise captive bred purple tangs. He happened however to have a few yellows from Hawaii in the concrete vat with the purples. So I believe he was surprised when he saw a lighter color offspring.

I had the opportunity, money and presence, to purchase a Yurple from MACNA In 2021. I've maintained a Instagram page for him, Jake, to document his coloring changes. I will say pictures and videos don't do him justice. His coloring keeps getting bolder every day.

I also look at my purchase of him as an investment in captive breeding of marine fish. I Purchased him directly from Biota.

From my research this fish was a one off and I don't believe there is an attempt to create more. I could be wrong but I don't believe I am.

Would these Zebrasomas have crossed in the wild probably,yes, if they were located by each other. That's what makes marine life so interesting, we're always discovering new things.

That's what I love about Jake each day I get to see his coloring change. It's a new adventure.

Is the price crazy? Yes it is, but the demand is what keeps it there.
I think it's a fun hybridization and I hope that they continue to be bred for these same reasons. Can I currently keep a yurple tang? No, my aquarium is too small. Can I afford a yurple tang? No. Does the fact that I can't personally afford one matter? No! Would I get a yurple tang if I could afford one? Definite maybe! I'm honestly more partial to brown and gem tangs over yellow or even purple tangs though but the yurple does look interesting and probably easier on my eyes than either the original yellow or the purple tang. (Super saturated pure colours hurt my retinas; I could barely look at my yellow tailed damsel when I had her.)

Let the people who like their unique hybrids like their unique hybrids in peace. The yurple tang is not an ugly fish, it does have interesting swirling blue patterns in its yellow! If these fish are cheap enough that I can afford one by the time that I do have a larger aquarium I will 100% buy one. I personally really like that with the odd colouring this fish has you have a reassurring guarantee that it was born in captivity because it simply doesn't exist in the wild. It bothers me immensely that I bought a wild caught yellow watchman goby when I could have bought a captive bred one; I was irresponsible when I made that purchase and I should have been better but I was too impatient to wait until I found a captive bred specimen (and had the extra money for one. It's harder finding captive bred fish up here in Canada. Everything costs so much more.) Will I buy a captive bred watchman goby next time? If I can! My wild caught goby Clyde is terrified of my admittedly shark-coloured cat, Keplar, and I do feel that had she been captive bred, maybe I'd get to see more of her.

I'd love to follow Jake on Instagram, he sounds like a wonderful and beautiful underwater friend!❤️

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back