Three tangs - best add young or mature?

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, looking to add my final fish-stock step, three tangs to my Peninsula 650 - Question, before I head out searching for the perfect trio (Thinking two yellow, one purple). Theres plenty of space for them to each find territory but, to minimise potential conflict, think i'm best looking for young or more mature tangs? and all the same size?

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, looking to add my final fish-stock step, three tangs to my Peninsula 650 - Question, before I head out searching for the perfect trio (Thinking two yellow, one purple). Theres plenty of space for them to each find territory but, to minimise potential conflict, think i'm best looking for young or more mature tangs? and all the same size?
I would get them as young as you can. What are the dimensions of your tank?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Young and at the same time will be your best bet.

Looks like a Red Sea 650 peninsula is about 5x2x2? You may have trouble long-term with those three closely related tangs....or it may be fine.

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Young and at the same time will be your best bet.

Looks like a Red Sea 650 peninsula is about 5x2x2? You may have trouble long-term with those three closely related tangs....or it may be fine.
My tank is only 1 foot longer, and I house 4 Tangs (Yellow, Sailfin, Tomini, Blue), and they show no aggression toward each other. As long as you keep them happy and fed, you should be good.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Young and the yellows, buy in odd numbers 1,3,5 and so forth. two are bound to fight. I am buying a trio of yellow tangs tomorrow which are about 3.5" each.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only 1 foot longer, and I house 4 Tangs (Yellow, Sailfin, Tomini, Blue), and they show no aggression toward each other. As long as you keep them happy and fed, you should be good.

A 180 gallon with four tangs in three different genera is a better situation than a 150 with three tangs in the same genus.

But, as I said, it might be fine. I would just be prepared.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, the replies are pretty conclusive! My LFS are taking delivery of small yellows in the next few weeks, in no rush so will see what they're like and decide then.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily has often mixed purple, yellow & salfin together. You can see if he has any additional advice.
Also having another nori clip can help as they mature. It gives the tang lowest in pecking order more opportunity to eat (tip I got from him).

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If recommend against two yellows. 4+ may work but the odds of 2 not fixating on each other is less. You’d be better with a black, yellow, and purple or a scopas, purple, and yellow. The tank is 5 feet so this would be a lot for a 5 foot tank but for a good amount of time you could get away with it, probably.

Nothing is guaranteed with different fish personalities but it is often doable.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 180 gallon with four tangs in three different genera is a better situation than a 150 with three tangs in the same genus.

But, as I said, it might be fine. I would just be prepared.

I agree....but it was actually only three genera wasn't it? (Sailfin and yellow are both Zebrasoma). :D

I'm about to try something worse....introduce a yellow to a 6' tank with an established Gold Rim. My plan is to remove the Gold Rim for 2-3 weeks and let the yellow get somewhat established. Wish me luck!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree....but it was actually only three genera wasn't it? (Sailfin and yellow are both Zebrasoma). :D

I'm about to try something worse....introduce a yellow to a 6' tank with an established Gold Rim. My plan is to remove the Gold Rim for 2-3 weeks and let the yellow get somewhat established. Wish me luck!

I think that's what I wrote, 4 species in 3 genera.

Good luck with the gold rim. I've never been around them, only powder browns. Hopefully it works out. Is a new, larger yellow going to be the plan?

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
@4FordFamily has often mixed purple, yellow & salfin together. You can see if he has any additional advice.
Also having another nori clip can help as they mature. It gives the tang lowest in pecking order more opportunity to eat (tip I got from him).

This is the trio I have. My purple is smaller than the Sailfin and Yellow. The Yellow is the bully of the group and chases off the purple during Nori time, but it never turns violent. The purple simply goes right back to the Nori clip. I thought about going for another clip but the Yellow chases him off sometimes even if the Yellow isn't hungry. I think he would chase him if he sees him eating from an additional clip. In the end there is bickering between the 3 but they tolerate each other and they eat like pigs.

Mine were all added together and the Purple is half the size of the Yellow.

fish3.jpg

Back