Three wrasse combo

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to add three wrasse to my tank after a tank crash a while ago.
I have a 50gal display that's 48"long, and I am looking for three reef safe wrasse to put in. I am thinking a possum wrasse might have to be one of them due to being docile and good cleaners.

I am open to suggestions though on what your three best wrasse might be for a 50gal tank.

I have a sandbed btw.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That can be a small tank to mix wrasse. I would not suggest any flashers.
If you are looking at fairy’s that’s a bit small but you have options. Mixing them in your tank might not go good so be prepared to remove one from stress or bullys.
Pink streaked wrasse are great for smaller systems.
IMG_4934.jpeg

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any other chart showing wrasse in groups A and B?
That can be a small tank to mix wrasse. I would not suggest any flashers.
If you are looking at fairy’s that’s a bit small but you have options. Mixing them in your tank might not go good so be prepared to remove one from stress or bullys.
Pink streaked wrasse are great for smaller systems.
IMG_4934.jpeg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a 4ft 50 gal tank? How wide and tall is it?

Do you have a sand bed? If so, I would recommend:

1. A Halichoeres wrasse. My choice in rank order would be: Halichoeres iridis "Radiant wrasse", H. pallidus "Babi wrasse", or H. chrysus "Yellow wrasse". In most cases they will leave your inverts alone

2. A Macropharyngodon "leopard" wrasse *if you can get a healthy one*. They're all great, so take your pick, but know that the M. choati is expensive and difficult to get alive and surviving. In most cases they also leave your inverts alone.

3. A fun fairy or two like @Crabby48 showed you in the chart. Maybe one from the left side and one from the right like a rhomboid or exqusite with a lubbocki or pintail or hooded or magma!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Halichoeres, so I would probably get one of the smaller wrasses in that genus (chryus, leucoxanthus, biocellatus, melanurus).

If a possum is a must, I might do that plus some fairies. Maybe pintail, lubbock, & exquisite.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Halichoeres, so I would probably get one of the smaller wrasses in that genus (chryus, leucoxanthus, biocellatus, melanurus).

If a possum is a must, I might do that plus some fairies. Maybe pintail, lubbock, & exquisite.
I am open to ideas for the possum. I just prefer it over the six line, if there are any others similar I would love to know.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am open to ideas for the possum. I just prefer it over the six line, if there are any others similar I would love to know.
Sixline has a very bad rap here. Possums generally have a good reputation, except for @jkcoral who has a gangster possum (but photography gold).

If you're set on 3 wrasses, then a possum and 2 fairies might be a good combo. The two fairies can play off of each other to keep their flashing and colors up. All suggestions above sound great.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixline has a very bad rap here. Possums generally have a good reputation, except for @jkcoral who has a gangster possum (but photography gold).

If you're set on 3 wrasses, then a possum and 2 fairies might be a good combo. The two fairies can play off of each other to keep their flashing and colors up. All suggestions above sound great.
I'm not technically set on anything. If three wrasses is blasphemy I don't mind taking one out. This threads main goal is to just get some ideas. There are so many good options I would not want to overlook any.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not technically set on anything. If three wrasses is blasphemy I don't mind taking one out. This threads main goal is to just get some ideas. There are so many good options I would not want to overlook any.
Not at all. I can only imagine you'll want more!

What other fish are in your 4ft tank? I am about to have 6 wrasses in my 3ft tank. That's a bit overkill, but I'm working hard on their environment and feeding regimen so everything in the tank stays fat and happy.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all. I can only imagine you'll want more!

What other fish are in your 4ft tank? I am about to have 6 wrasses in my 3ft tank. That's a bit overkill, but I'm working hard on their environment and feeding regimen so everything in the tank stays fat and happy.
It has been a while since my tank wipe but I am taking it slow since all the fish costed so much before. Right now I only have two clowns swimming in a nem. My stocking choice is a whitetail tang then a few wrasse and a small goby or two. I don't have any of those yet though.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has to be more than 50. Those are good detentions for wrasse.
I was thinking demotions of a 55 sorry
Yeah, those dimensions pull back an 83 gal tank, 75 gal if you take the water level up to 18".

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those few inches you are short makes a difference.
Pink streak and or a fairy from the list like a lubbock’s and something from Halichoeres like a radiant or yellow.
not sure I would put a leopard and a Halichoeres wrasse in that size tank. Get the wrasse small. 2” is good size and 3” max . Females will get along better than males. They will all transition.

reef2021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try three of the same variety of flashers. I have a blue flasher and he has great colors without flashing but when he does he’s a spectacle to see.

Pink streaked wrasses are amazing also. I randomly lost my little guy and am in the waiting process for my new quarantined little buddy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back