Throw in the towel?

nashvillian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2381.JPG
this guy has been looking like this for about 5 days now. Wondering how close this is to nuking the tank.

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No image available.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've brought them back from worse than that.

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check water parameters and if they're off make sure to do a water change. the mouth is pretty gaping is it accepting any food?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best advice I can give is to make sure your water parameters are reef levels and stable, and just leave it alone. try feeding a couple times a week but if it doesn't eat on its own then don't force it to.

How did you do it? I've got one that's struggling as well. I put it in a basket up high and he crawled out!

OP
OP
nashvillian

nashvillian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It tries to eat, thawed frozen shrimp but rejects it after playing with it a while. Params are all normal except Ca and dKh which are a little low, but I wouldn't think that would affect an anemone. It was doing okay and eating for the longest time and then I moved some rock around and he wasn't too happy about it. He was pretty flat this AM. Don't want to give up, but don't want to lose my tank either. He was spitting innards out the last couple of days(curly white strings)

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you thaw the shrimp in freshwater? If not id try it again thawing it in seawater.

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best advice I can give is to make sure your water parameters are reef levels and stable, and just leave it alone. try feeding a couple times a week but if it doesn't eat on its own then don't force it to.
^Agree.

Suggestion on feeding**:
Is this nem new? If feeding thawed shrimp is what its been eating in the past go with that. If this is a new nem, and we're trying feeding options I would try smaller food (mysis delivered by a baster) or portions - cut that shrimp up smaller. I like the idea of thawing in tank/salt water too. Wild speculation: I would assume it take the nem more energy to open its mouth and engulf a large portion of food then expel it to get little benefit at all(all that energy and no nom noms!). Smaller portions presumably would take less energy to consume, and it could take in just what it needs.

**A gaping mouth, or being in process of expelling waste is not the time for a feeding

Best of luck! I hope she gets better!

Back