Throwback instant tank budget build***UPDATE***completed

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have absolutely nothing to do, so why not do another tank.

I’ll keep it short since I really have no fully thought out plan. I want to do a 90’s tank. I was thinking further back but I didn’t want to mess with ugf and halides. The build will be a slow one since not a priority

-Got a 60 gallon Marineland tank and stand with day led light. $150
-Pulled out of the cobwebs my Sealife Systems wet dry. Only missing a few parts. The drip tray, the tray to hold the balls, the -baffle for the sponge, the overflow box. But, no big deal. Easily gotten. Got the balls today $26.
-Pulled out a spare 200 watt heater. No controller will be used.
-Need 2-3 bags substrate, may go gravel - 50-75$
-Only big $$.. I may go with TAMPA bay rock. I have been tossing around an idea for putting together an instant tank that is fully sustainable from day1. Not sure how that fits in with the wet dry though.
-lights basic T5. I would do power compacts but do they even make them?
-Pump, trusty old Rio 2500 $65
-I’m trying the ESV salt system $50
-I will does seachem manually as needed.

Anything else?

D84FB094-11D3-4501-A18F-5192A42EC47E.jpeg
6214550C-634E-4D17-942B-3D2C5A0A2F1A.jpeg

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learned a good lesson today. NEVER THROW ANYTHING OUT. I clean out the fish closet.

I found some egg crate I cut for the bottom support for the bio balls that was missing from the wet dry. I used them to replace the missing plate that served as a baffle. I found some extra course black filter pad to use as a bubble and detris trap. Found a bunch of plastic hose clamps, 3/4 hose, a up and over return nozzle. I pulled a pump from and old Vertex Bio aquaristik.

Just showing as an example. Once I get the overflow from marine depot I have a running tank for 250$ so far.

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, wasn’t going to rush this. Yeah, right.

The overflow and esv salt came in today. I now have everything to get It running.

Last 2 things. Need to decide if I’m gonna pull a pump out of the closet or order a Rio. I’m gonna need to pull the back brace out to shoe horn in the wet dry. Fingers crossed it fits.

If the wet dry fits, I have an operational tank for under $350.

My goal of an instant tank looks more and more achievable.

Plan is plug in all the equipment and fill with Rodi. No leaks, dump in salt and order sane,rock,fish,coral.
You got me right. Either I am a mad man or I built an instant tank for under a 1k.

Taking bets if it works

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to pull a brace on the stand to put in the wet dry. First screws I ever removed with a screw driver by prying them out and not unscrewing. A bit cheap on the build.

Have all the pieces, just need to put together.

50349096-F2EE-40E0-899C-B50AB5407E67.jpeg
934B7DCD-6908-484A-AC10-612E718835BE.jpeg
947722EC-7631-4024-8D2E-C1774ABC013E.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a nice little setup. Draw out 2-3 plans for assembly/setup and make it your master plan to set the tank up. Should be a nice system.

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a nice little setup. Draw out 2-3 plans for assembly/setup and make it your master plan to set the tank up. Should be a nice system.

Exactly right as always. :D

And here it is. Please pick every last detail apart.

My goal an instant, sustainable tank stocked in one day for under a 1k complete. (I would have included setting up the tank itself in the 1 day instant tank, I just don’t have a full day time wise).

Equip done.
75 gall and stand $ 150. Bioballs $ 26. Marine depot overflow $62. Ordered new Rio 3100 $62.. had wet dry and rest of plumbing. Using wet dry for aeration since no skimmer. Tank comes with CHEAP LIGHT (good enough for now) esv salt $58. Have Rodi other tank. No wavemake

Total in area of $375

Inside tank.

Ordered TAMPA bay rock and live sand today. $375(waiting for shipping costs)

If I am not missing anything that’s 750 with 250 for livestock.

Plan is old school on that too. Damsels, clowns, shrimp, yellow tang. Soft corals. (I have the 180 as back up in case of any emergency)

Have I missed anything?? That puts me right at a thousand. The tank is so simple it can be put together in a few hours so I am not worried about that part of the instant tank. Basically 1 vacuum hose and 1 return hose.

The plan is to get all the rock, sand, coral, etc in the room. I will have the tank filled the day before with Rodi to check leaks and get to temp. First the salt will go in and have time to mix. While mixing starting to float and acclimate. Gonna have a extra bucket of salt water to wash sand and rock. Put sand and rock in. Coral goes in, fish goes in. Lid goes on. Done

(Here is the key, I am ordering 2 more buckets of esv. I will have a Brute mixed and ready to go at all times. Ammonia badge in the tank and prime. My safety if needed is small water changes, but I will keep ammonia low if not zero and old school cycles tanks with damsels anyway

Sorry so long

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C09B97E7-6F7F-4C19-AF4E-44F382C715B1.jpeg

Ready. Waiting to hear from tba when the ship rocks and sand. Will order fish and start water all to meet up on same day, is plan anyway

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good start. 90's tank........

Well, don't know if your bold enough to go float valve for ATO, that's what I did back then. Lol

Skimmer I ran on my 75 was a CPR bak-pak. No bio balls, no wet dry.

Lights, DIY T5 fixture with water proof end sockets. Ballasts for each fixture, each bulb on its own household timer. Sunrise, sunset.

Wave maker was Maxi Jets on a old school Red Sea wave maker controller. They would "clack" as they would come on and off! Very annoying! Lol

Live rock, sand.

Lobo's, leather corals, mushrooms....

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I seen this earlier. I just gave 30 frags to Nemo's today. I would have given you some for your tank to try out. Let me know when running and I will give you some frags if you want

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great - great build thread! I always love the details that you add! Did I miss the heater on the list or are you not adding one?

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I seen this earlier. I just gave 30 frags to Nemo's today. I would have given you some for your tank to try out. Let me know when running and I will give you some frags if you want

I saw you were heading to Nemo’s. I appreciate it. I am waiting to hear from TAMPA bay on when they are diving to get my rock. Once I know I’ll be looking for leathers mostly. Really want toadstool and fingers.

Looks great - great build thread! I always love the details that you add! Did I miss the heater on the list or are you not adding one?

Found 2 heaters in back of closet. 75 and 200 watt. Wait till u see my ATO and wave makers

Are you considering MH?

Too expensive power wise. Power compacts were cool back then, but hard to find. The tank came with the CHEAPEST led strip ever. I am working on a slick lighting surprise down the road after I have complete the throwback instant tank build for less than 1k.

My Rio 3100 from amazon came in Saturday. Sorry, I meant it came in a 1000 pieces from amazon on Saturday. Anyone say exchange.

Got a shopping cart started at @AquaLocker . They have a bunch of damsels and clowns. I need to call them Monday, I want to order them, but I can’t have them ship until I know when the rock will hit my door. Also, no blue damsels in stock, hoping coming in soon.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back