OP
Lagoon reef

Lagoon reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the tank is now approaching the 5 month mark.

This tank has been the best decision I've had in a while. I spend some time every single day just admiring the tank. Very thankful for the friends that have helped out by donation corals to add and helping make new connections with coral plugs lol

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the tank is now approaching the 5 month mark.

This tank has been the best decision I've had in a while. I spend some time every single day just admiring the tank. Very thankful for the friends that have helped out by donation corals to add and helping make new connections with coral plugs lol

Congrats on the five-month mark, tank seems to be doing really well!!

Taylor Parsley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re 3.5in wide, the second chamber is 10in long and the return pump chamber is about 8in long. Where the filter socks go it has a lip on the inside to hold the filter socks so it’s 3in wide. I’m currently looking for a company that can make some custom media holders to replace the filter socks!
Have you found media holders yet???

OP
OP
Lagoon reef

Lagoon reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
coming up on 9 months. I feel like the tank looked way better around the 5 month mark. I lost a lot of the SPS due to a nutrient swing where everything just tanked. After that the nitrates were back to their original levels (20-25ppm). I now have a lot more nuisances algae growing now due to elevated phosphates. Lost my ny Knicks torch from some unknown reason. It just decided to polyp bail even though the rest of the my torches and hammers have been doing ok minus one hammer that hasn't bounced back from the nutrient swing. At the time I also only had the two clowns. I have now added more fish to my tank thanks to Dr. Reef!

I know have:

2 DaVinci clowns
Midas Blenny
Royal Grama
Purple fire fish
Blue eye kole tang

Right now my tanks readings are
Alk 8.4
Nitrates 19
phosphates .14
Mag 1350
Cal 420

I can for sure tell that some of the hammers that aren't happy are due to maybe algae building up on the skeleton. once the algae grows the tissue tends to retract and never really gets back. debating if I need a skimmer. I have noticed that my nitrates will read lower one week like 2ppm. But then again there is some GHA growing so my numbers probably are not even that reliable. From my understanding higher Nitrates are more favorable for my LPS and softies. The high phosphates are fueling my algae issues.

IMG_1582.JPG
IMG_1583.JPG
IMG_1584.JPG
IMG_1585.JPG
IMG_1586.JPG
IMG_1587.JPG

IMG_1588.jpg

sorry for the cell phone pics lol I'll bust out the mirrorless one of these days and get some higher quality pictures

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the troubles. Still looking good! That’s the fun of starting a tank with dry rock. I am having to dose nitrate and phos daily in my 65 Tideline to keep nutrients up. But started running moonshiners almost three weeks ago and my acros are slowly starting to get their color back.

OP
OP
Lagoon reef

Lagoon reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for the troubles. Still looking good! That’s the fun of starting a tank with dry rock. I am having to dose nitrate and phos daily in my 65 Tideline to keep nutrients up. But started running moonshiners almost three weeks ago and my acros are slowly starting to get their color back.

Yeah that’s what a buddy of mine told me! It’s more than likely the rocks soaking it all up! And man I wish I could do sps right now! But hopefully in a couple months when everything can really stable out I’ll try it again! Still considering buying that new bullet 3 hob skimmer

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s what a buddy of mine told me! It’s more than likely the rocks soaking it all up! And man I wish I could do sps right now! But hopefully in a couple months when everything can really stable out I’ll try it again! Still considering buying that new bullet 3 hob skimmer
Since I started moonshiners I have been testing nitrate and phos on Wednesday and Sunday and adjusting my daily dose based on those tests.

OP
OP
Lagoon reef

Lagoon reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ADB81876-A308-4614-B3BA-6506F4C01DE5.jpeg
2A4D4DF7-37E6-4C41-87DF-B8442FB86170.jpeg

Finally got rid of those spinning shadow wave outlets and replaced them with a 3/4in VCA multiadapter to loc line adapter. and a 3/4 to 1/2 in lock line adapter! Imo it’s way better than the stock spinners that would rarely ever spin! Next will be to add the vca random flow nozzles and upgrade the return pumps!

I also think I need a skimmer. Nutrients haven’t spiked down or up and are a little high 20 No3 and .2 Po4

Plan on buying that bullet 3 skimmer once it comes back in stock! Hopefully soon I’ll also be looking into an apex. Maybe a jr just to be able to monitor the tank. I feel like there hasn’t been much growth for some of the corals being in 10 months. So I’m wondering if maybe my PH has been on the low side this whole time.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
ADB81876-A308-4614-B3BA-6506F4C01DE5.jpeg
2A4D4DF7-37E6-4C41-87DF-B8442FB86170.jpeg

Finally got rid of those spinning shadow wave outlets and replaced them with a 3/4in VCA multiadapter to loc line adapter. and a 3/4 to 1/2 in lock line adapter! Imo it’s way better than the stock spinners that would rarely ever spin! Next will be to add the vca random flow nozzles and upgrade the return pumps!

I also think I need a skimmer. Nutrients haven’t spiked down or up and are a little high 20 No3 and .2 Po4

Plan on buying that bullet 3 skimmer once it comes back in stock! Hopefully soon I’ll also be looking into an apex. Maybe a jr just to be able to monitor the tank. I feel like there hasn’t been much growth for some of the corals being in 10 months. So I’m wondering if maybe my PH has been on the low side this whole time.
I have a pair of brand new random flow nozzles for 1/2” loc-line if you want them.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are these the adapters you used to get rid of the shadow spinners? I really hate them!

OP
OP
Lagoon reef

Lagoon reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It’s getting there

And I used this size adapter and it worked perfectly for me! the 3/4 to 1/2 loc line adapter is correct! Then you can use some 1/2 loc line to extend out and give you more option for aiming the flow! Flow has been so much better now that the spiny things are in the trash haha!

Does that adapter just push fit into the pipe coming from the pump chamber?

OP
OP
Lagoon reef

Lagoon reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does that adapter just push fit into the pipe coming from the pump chamber?

so the spinning part can actually pop off. the bulk head stays in place and then you just push the adapter fitting in. no need to even remove the bulk head. super simple! love that VCA has that product. when I reached out to them they already knew what I needed lol
Tank looks like it is doing great!

thank you! hope it stays that way!

OP
OP
Lagoon reef

Lagoon reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update on my tank…

Yesterday I noticed my temp alarm go off. The normal for my tank is 77F and when I checked my Apex I noticed it was 80.5. Super odd. First thing I assumed was the issue was that the heater malfunctioned. Called IM but they walked me through all the trouble shooting steps to make sure it wasn’t. After digging through the apex power consumption graphs I noticed one of my return pumps tripled in power consumption. I had switched out one pump to a sicce and the one I didn’t burned out and caused the temps to rise. Every coral is super upset right now. Sps are all bleached out. Pretty sure they’re done for. I’m doing a water change as I type this right now but I fear that the tank might have gotten either shocked or the pump leached out some metals… all my turbo snails are dead and all the corals are still super upset. If you’re running a Tideline tank do yourself a favor and replace the pumps they include! I should have done it when I replaced the other ‍
C0E75EAE-4822-4917-9565-7B8A7DBFD150.png
31055528-63CF-41A7-AA43-AE4B1C81ACC5.png

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 or even 82 shouldn't bleach out corals that fast. During hurricane season power outages I've had Temps up to 84-85 in my systems with no casualties. I would be more concerned about stray voltage from the burnt out pump

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back