Tiger angelfish not eating frozen. Help!

mrblanco396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a tiger angelfish in my tank and he looks really healthy and is active but he is not eating any of the food I put in the tank. I have it in a 120 with a gem tang and a really small clownfish. They are the only fish in the take and the angelfish already seems to have taken over the tank. I got him recently and he does pick at the rocks, and algae on the glass, but he doesn’t eat any of the food I give. No signs of disease on any fish. Could he just only be interested in eating pods and algae. Ha also does not pick at the algae I put on a clip or any of the coral. Any recommendations on how I can get it to eat prepared foods.

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably getting used to the tank. I have one in my tank and they are easy and hardy fish. Keep try different frozen food. Mine took few days to eat. They are not that difficult to get it to eat and will accept anything once comfortable.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have enough algae and pods in the tank, it will likely be fine until he starts to learn from the other fish in the tank. Some fish don't recognize what you are feeding is food, and takes some time. You can help him out by using some masstick or angel formula(or formula one) from ocean nutrition smashed into the rocks. If you have convenient access to live brine shrimp or live black worms, these will also get him by until he learns the ropes. As long as he is grazing and showing no indicators of internal parasites, he should come around.

OP
OP
M

mrblanco396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to you both I feel much more at ease knowing this now. I’ll probably start hatching some brine shrimp.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to @lion king's advice for live foods, you might consider cultivating white/grindal worms as well. All my fish (even the big angels) love them, and they're incredibly easy to cultivate. I keep a couple of batches in the cabinet of one of my tanks.

msjjacobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had one for about six months now. Mine is in a 175 with similar tank mates, except a black tang instead of a gem. It took a couple days to acclimate to the tank and then a few more days after that until he was really interested in food. He still picks at the rock but also eats anything and everything. Frozen, pellets, algae from a clip. Variety is key. Good luck and enjoy this beautiful fish!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back