Tiger pistol shrimp pair and rose goby

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know any details? I see sparse info on the rose goby..
So far since introduction the pair of shrimp (pretty sure they're mated, one larger claw the other has two smaller claws) have been working on tunnels all over, but the goby just sits there out in the open. Thought he might have been rejected by the shrimp since they were no longer in the super small tank at the store...

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they never pair, sometimes it takes a while. I don't know if having two shrimp is having and effect on the pairing though.

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of your goby? I couldn't find much of anything about rose gobies.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fin goby.

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that may be the problem. High fin typically pair up with Randal's pistol shrimp. A tiger pistol and a hi-fin may pair up, but it wouldn't be either's first choice. It happens, of course, but it's not the ideal pairing.

OP
OP
K

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get some pics of each.. The mismatch thought I had, but was unsure. They were hanging out at the same burrow in the store, but of course it was a 12" by 12" by 12" little holding tank with abunch of other critters in there.

I was curious if the shrimp are in a 'we're gonna build our tunnels and mate' mentality and the goby isn't a present thought...

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are bonded I think the goby will always be within a couple inches of the shrimp antenna. They like to always be touching if they are outside of the den. You would always see at least one of the antenna touching some part of the goby. I guess the shrimp are that bad at seeing. The exception I would say is in feeding mode, or if the shrimp are too busy under the sand tunneling and the goby is being active outside the den. This is what I've been able to observe.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are *usually* touching the antenna. that's how the shrimp knows if it should hide.

If they are bonded I think the goby will always be within a couple inches of the shrimp antenna. They like to always be touching if they are outside of the den. You would always see at least one of the antenna touching some part of the goby. I guess the shrimp are that bad at seeing. The exception I would say is in feeding mode, or if the shrimp are too busy under the sand tunneling and the goby is being active outside the den. This is what I've been able to observe.

OP
OP
K

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WP_20160909_20_56_23_Pro.jpg WP_20160909_20_56_14_Pro.jpg WP_20160909_20_14_25_Pro.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back