Tigger Pod Culture-Population

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started culturing tigger pods in a 5g bucket October 30th. Is this a pretty healthy population? I have to put 70 drops of phyto-feast almost daily because it turns clear the next day or the following. I try to keep it on the lighter green color. What do you think?

IMG_1269.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good.

I don't count my phyto drops, I just pour until the water is green like gatorade. What kind of phyto are you using?

Do you have an airline in the bucket? It will help the phyto stay suspended in the water instead of sinking down to the bottom.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good.

I don't count my phyto drops, I just pour until the water is green like gatorade. What kind of phyto are you using?

Do you have an airline in the bucket? It will help the phyto stay suspended in the water instead of sinking down to the bottom.
I have an air stone going. It’s by Reef Nutrition.

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use to harvest them? A sieve? So you start fresh each harvest or only harvest 50-75% at a time. Looking to start mine up After the holidays

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use to harvest them? A sieve? So you start fresh each harvest or only harvest 50-75% at a time. Looking to start mine up After the holidays
250 micron sieve to catch the adults. I got mine off Amazon. You want to keep the juveniles in there to keep the culture going. I just collected 1/2-1 gallon out of five about a week ago. If I want to catch all of them including the juveniles, I use my 45 micron sieve.

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of this thread, I started my own thread wanting to hear the procedure for how reefers are harvesting their pods, especially if bottling any. Since you have harvested a couple times, taking 1/2-1 gallon out of the 5g,are you just leaving the mulm in your bucket?

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of this thread, I started my own thread wanting to hear the procedure for how reefers are harvesting their pods, especially if bottling any. Since you have harvested a couple times, taking 1/2-1 gallon out of the 5g,are you just leaving the mulm in your bucket?
At the moment yes because it has the hatched babies in it still but I do need to remove some because it’s almost covering the whole bottom. I’ve been following reef nutrition’s culture instructions and it’s worked well. :) I’m not sure how to go about bottling them yet but I do see them in clean water at the stores so that will be something I will try down the road. :)

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How's this going? That seems like an excessive amount of phyto? Phyto feast is super concentrated and can easily crash a system. I've been hesitant to drop more than .5ml into a 2g container that is densely populated every day. If yours is going well I may double the dose. I see a lot of mulm in the bottom of your bucket. They is a good sign. How old is your culture? Have you done any 100% water changes? I need to get a bigger sieve. Mine is 53m and it catches everything.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's this going? That seems like an excessive amount of phyto? Phyto feast is super concentrated and can easily crash a system. I've been hesitant to drop more than .5ml into a 2g container that is densely populated every day. If yours is going well I may double the dose. I see a lot of mulm in the bottom of your bucket. They is a good sign. How old is your culture? Have you done any 100% water changes? I need to get a bigger sieve. Mine is 53m and it catches everything.
They eat what I put in there within a couple days. I studied some YT videos and they keep theirs at a light green. I will be doing a 100% WC soon. I have mine filled to the 5g brim now.

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast do you have your air stone /airline producing bubbles?

Also do you have any issues with temp of the water?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back