OP
OP
T

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: been having some luck dealing with dinoflagellates using a combo of Vibrant as well as sucking them out with a turkey baster and stopping water changes.

Could anyone offer some advice on when I could safely start up water changes again without fueling growth of the Dinos?

IMG_6324.JPG
IMG_6325.JPG
IMG_6327.JPG
IMG_6328.JPG
IMG_6328.JPG
IMG_6326.JPG

Pom Herder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet tank! I am trying to decide between the Reefer 750 XXL and the 525 XL. Did you have to move the aquarium off the pallet to get access to the panels to build the cabinet? I am hoping I can build the cabinet without having to move the aquarium and then hire movers to lift the aquarium onto the built cabinet.

OP
OP
T

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Yes I did have to lift the tank to get to some stand components underneath. Myself and 3 friends were able to lift the tank onto the stand using some suction cups I found on amazon.

OP
OP
T

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am not having much success getting my corals to grow. So far I have a blasto (on which one head completely disintegrated but looks like a new one is growing), a hammer which looked great for a week but now is completely retracted and I only see skeleton, a frogspawn which seems to be doing ok, a duncan which looks ok as well, and a trumpet which has not really grown at all.

Parameters:
Alk: 8.7
Calcium: 450
Mag: 1400
Ph: 8-8.1
Nitrates: between 2 and 5
Have not tested phosphates

I don't feed my coral at this point, just thought I would see how they do without it, is it always this slow? I have everything on the sand bed minus the frogspawn at the moment.

OP
OP
T

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I have been struggling with this as well, based on my pictures are my powerheads just completely too low in the tank? How do you know where to put them? I have 3 tunze nanostream 6095's. The two on the sides and one in the back pointed towards the top for gas exchange.

OP
OP
T

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another tank shot and can anyone ID this crab? Just found him a few days ago never saw him before.
IMG_6563.JPG
IMG_6562.JPG
IMG_6561.JPG

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am not having much success getting my corals to grow. So far I have a blasto (on which one head completely disintegrated but looks like a new one is growing), a hammer which looked great for a week but now is completely retracted and I only see skeleton, a frogspawn which seems to be doing ok, a duncan which looks ok as well, and a trumpet which has not really grown at all.

Parameters:
Alk: 8.7
Calcium: 450
Mag: 1400
Ph: 8-8.1
Nitrates: between 2 and 5
Have not tested phosphates

I don't feed my coral at this point, just thought I would see how they do without it, is it always this slow? I have everything on the sand bed minus the frogspawn at the moment.

How are those corals doing?

OP
OP
T

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not great honestly. Not sure what I have to do to get some growth. My hammer died, I believe because I adjusted alkalinity too quickly. My Duncan looks good but no new heads, blasto doing ok, trumpet ok.

My frogspawn is now fully retracted into its skeleton thanks to some meddling from my peppermint shrimp.

On the plus side I do have coralline growing on my back wall as well as on my pumps and rocks so that should be a good sign right? Fish seem to be happy but I wish my fox face wasn’t so shy!

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not great honestly. Not sure what I have to do to get some growth. My hammer died, I believe because I adjusted alkalinity too quickly. My Duncan looks good but no new heads, blasto doing ok, trumpet ok.

My frogspawn is now fully retracted into its skeleton thanks to some meddling from my peppermint shrimp.

On the plus side I do have coralline growing on my back wall as well as on my pumps and rocks so that should be a good sign right? Fish seem to be happy but I wish my fox face wasn’t so shy!

That’s weird. I added a birdnest, frogspawn, and a condy anemone to my 1 month old system. It’s been a month since I added them and they are all doing great. I also added a few favias, duncan, and more that I ordered from WWC. They all seem to be doing great. My alk was a little high at 11 and calcium low 340 when I tested last week. Also been adding magnesium. I’m going to check my parameters today. Also did you dip your coral?

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s weird. I added a birdnest, frogspawn, and a condy anemone to my 1 month old system. It’s been a month since I added them and they are all doing great. I also added a few favias, duncan, and more that I ordered from WWC. They all seem to be doing great. My alk was a little high at 11 and calcium low 340 when I tested last week. Also been adding magnesium. I’m going to check my parameters today. Also did you dip your coral?

Also corraline is typically a sign of a maturing tank. Some people like it some don’t bc of all the work of scraping it off of the glass and stuff.

OP
OP
T

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I dip all my corals in coral rx. I think I am just really lost about placement and flow. This is my first reef tank and I never know if my corals are in the right spot or not. I will need to post some pictures maybe you guys can help me out!

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I dip all my corals in coral rx. I think I am just really lost about placement and flow. This is my first reef tank and I never know if my corals are in the right spot or not. I will need to post some pictures maybe you guys can help me out!

Yeah I had to move some of my corals around to find them their happy place.

OP
OP
T

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral update: Purchased a galaxea which I never saw a single polyp from, assuming it's dead but is sitting in my tank just skeleton. Echinopora I purchased which is supposed to be blue is actually brown, so probably doing something wrong there also. Frogspawn was starting to come back a little day by day but now fully retracted into skeleton again, sigh.

Blasto not growing at all but seems happy? Trumpet which I have had for months still the same, no growth, no idea where to place this coral I have tried all over the tank. For some positive news, my duncan sprouted 4 new heads! Maybe I will just have a tank full of duncans? Seems to be the only coral that likes my tank so far!

cezary89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tikosyn,

How did you mount the hydra 26hd's in that orientation. I have same brackets with same lights and can only mount them facing the front. The holes are pre drilled for the mount to attach to that specific spot. I want to have them facing the other way. Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back