Tile mounts

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surfing around I see a lot if acros mounted on tiles that look to be 3 x3" maybe 4x4". Seen this in some vendor shots and member tanks. They don't appear to be Home Depot type tiles but perhaps unglazed ceramic or old school plug material.
Anyone know what these are?

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to know as well I have a few but dot no were to buy them lol. I like them.

I wonder if I can go to Home Depot and use those ones?! Anyone know if any certain homedepot tiles are reef safe ?? And won't leach anything?? I have a ton on tile in the house mostly fired ceramic with a glaze finish or something like that . They. Were made in the 60's imported from Italy .

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of these tiles all the floors in the house were used with these in the 60's were never changed

Wonder if these tiles are reef safe ?! How would I find out? Would love to know cause I would grow some sps on them if so .

I'll cut a bunch of smaller 2x2 & 3x3 if so any help on this

Sorry rob for hijacking!

Def tagging along with you bud! I hate the 3x3 round disks inless it's for chalices or acans.

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you can use basically use any ceramic tile. Even if gazed. You can even buy 1x1 HD and soak them to remove glue. If it makes you feel better to cut them and than let them sit in a bucket of saltwater. Don't you see breeders place a whole tile so clownfish can lay they eggs. To answer you question Rob that tile is safe.

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you can use basically use any ceramic tile. Even if glazed. You can even buy 1x1 HD and soak them to remove glue. If it makes you feel better to cut them and than let them sit in a bucket of saltwater. Don't you see breeders place a whole tile so clownfish can lay they eggs. To answer you question Rob that tile is safe.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh see your the man bro. Il gonna chop some tile up to size in the next few days .

Time to go to sleep for me I need to be up in 2.5hours to get ready for work.

Freaking reef2reef always has me up!

Thanks bud. I have the large tile ones too fr te bathroom walls I would need to remove the glue and remove each tile from t as well. Ill just witch with the Italian tiles we have.

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used home depot tiles without any issues. I use travertine tiles since they are a calcium/carbonate based tile. I bought the sheet of 1×1 tiles, soaked them for a couple hours, pulled them off the backing, then scrubbed them with a scrub pad to remove any excess glue.

These tile work great for a frag tank and zoa grow out.

OP
OP
Rob Top1

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott,
Thanks for the link those are the ones I'm talking about. I'll leave the HD ones for my bathroom floor. Can't wait to get my order.

OP
OP
Rob Top1

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott,
Thanks for the link those are the ones I'm talking about. I'll leave the HD ones for my bathroom floor. Can't wait to get my order.

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I got my tiles from gooch's handywork along with some other cool supplies - great stuff - just made a couple of "gardens to-go" on the last 2 of my discs. Looks like I will be needing some more also.

Attachments

• 2014-10-13 20.55.49.jpg
    2014-10-13 20.55.49.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob Top1

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the garden to go. Should have gotten some big discs. Got a box of 30 4" tiles and 600+ plugs...I hate running out of plugs and my LFS is stocking the thrive dome top plugs which r OK for some things but not most

Shaggy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the travertine stone mosaic tiles, soak them in hot water to get the glue free. I think it was $9 for 100+ frag tiles. I grow out the zoas and chalice and then cut the tile in have to sell. It works great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back