Tile Size for SPS Grow Out

  • Thread starter Thread starter Justdrew
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 25, 2011
Messages
1,883
Reaction score
1,773
Location
Las Vegas, NV
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched and saw plenty of threads on "what" tiles to use. I have both 2" or 3". What is everyone's preferred size for SPS growout? My concern is the 2" may be too small and the encrusting would reach the sides before the coral decided to grow up. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Drew
 
How big are you trying to grow the colony? Also depends on what coral, placement. Some encrust a ton and some are anacropora
 
I use 3 inch tiles. Keeps things nice and spread out until they are a decent size. You can space them out once they cover the 3" plate with empty plates and just let them continue to encrust to the new tiles if you have the space.
 
In my experience 2” is a bit small and the acros do in fact outgrow the tile before sending up new sticks:

IMG_1188.jpeg
IMG_1187.jpeg

IMG_1189.jpeg

IMG_1186.jpeg


That said I probably won’t be switching anytime soon as I am running short on room haha
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new