Time for a Reef Savvy: Who’s Purchased Recently?

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent quite a bit of time researching and ultimately went with RS. I had a 10 foot tank built just this past year (you can see lots of pics on the build thread including the crating and shipping process) and while it took almost 10 months it was worth it.

You ultimately get what you pay for and not just with the tank alone. I try to remind myself it's not just the tank but the safety of everything inside it (which is darn near everything in the system) you are protecting and showing off.

As I was once eloquently told "nothing good ever happens fast in a reef system"....... Good luck!

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent quite a bit of time researching and ultimately went with RS. I had a 10 foot tank built just this past year (you can see lots of pics on the build thread including the crating and shipping process) and while it took almost 10 months it was worth it.

You ultimately get what you pay for and not just with the tank alone. I try to remind myself it's not just the tank but the safety of everything inside it (which is darn near everything in the system) you are protecting and showing off.

As I was once eloquently told "nothing good ever happens fast in a reef system"....... Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Your tank looks incredible and your build thread was a motivating factor in my decision to go with Reef Savvy. I’m also a believer that you get what you pay for, and fortunately I’ve come to learn patience is a crucial component of the reef keeping hobby.

This year is ideal for a carefully considered and patient approach to the new tank. My only issue is I don’t trust my old tank anymore, so my only option is to continue letting the rock cycle in the brute container I have it in for the coming months, which isn’t ideal considering I’m in an apartment. I also would have liked to get light over the rocks for coralline growth and a couple fish to create a natural amonia source for the bacteria in the next couple of months but that may just have to wait until I’m ready to set up the display tank.

Congrats on your new home and one of the most impressive set-ups I’ve seen!

PS - I saw that you previously lived in Arizona. If you have any suggestions for me regarding the reef keeping community out here, frag swap meets, etc. any advice would be appreciated!

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Your tank looks incredible and your build thread was a motivating factor in my decision to go with Reef Savvy. I’m also a believer that you get what you pay for, and fortunately I’ve come to learn patience is a crucial component of the reef keeping hobby.

This year is ideal for a carefully considered and patient approach to the new tank. My only issue is I don’t trust my old tank anymore, so my only option is to continue letting the rock cycle in the brute container I have it in for the coming months, which isn’t ideal considering I’m in an apartment. I also would have liked to get light over the rocks for coralline growth and a couple fish to create a natural amonia source for the bacteria in the next couple of months but that may just have to wait until I’m ready to set up the display tank.

Congrats on your new home and one of the most impressive set-ups I’ve seen!

PS - I saw that you previously lived in Arizona. If you have any suggestions for me regarding the reef keeping community out here, frag swap meets, etc. any advice would be appreciated!

LilElroy,
Your question comes at a good time. I haven't been back in a while but am actually headed back there in a few weeks. I am going to reach out to some old buddies while there and see what the scene is. Anything I learn I will certainly share! It has been a long time (like 6 years) but FRAG was a terrific organization when I was involved. They used to (again a long time ago) have a great coral auction and meeting group. The farmers brought in great stuff and always made sure pieces got shared around the community.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LilElroy,
Your question comes at a good time. I haven't been back in a while but am actually headed back there in a few weeks. I am going to reach out to some old buddies while there and see what the scene is. Anything I learn I will certainly share! It has been a long time (like 6 years) but FRAG was a terrific organization when I was involved. They used to (again a long time ago) have a great coral auction and meeting group. The farmers brought in great stuff and always made sure pieces got shared around the community.

Good to know. Please keep me posted! Thanks again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back