Time for a Reef Savvy: Who’s Purchased Recently?

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m ready to upgrade from my first tank. I just requested a quote from Reef Savvy for a 36” L x 18” W x 16” H tank, with all available options.

For those who have purchased recently, what has your experience been? What were you told lead time was and how long did it take you to get your tank? Did you purchase a stand and Synergy sump from Reef Savvy? Anything you would’ve done differently?

My only apprehension is I don’t want to wait 6 months for a tank, and I’m located in Arizona, so I’m curious what the shipping cost and process will look like. On the other hand, I want the best tank if I’m going to upgrade.

I will keep this thread updated when I receive my quote and decide whether I’m going to pull the trigger or not.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're the best tanks out there.... but you'll wait 6 months at least I believe.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll bump this for you. No direct experience with them but the tanks I've seen are well worth the wait.

Thank you sir.

They're the best tanks out there.... but you'll wait 6 months at least I believe.

That’s what I’ve heard. I was hoping the first couple weeks of January might be slow after the holidays, and conscious of my naivety, but nonetheless, hoping that because the tank I’m interested in is child’s play by their standards that there may be a possibility it makes it out sooner. I’m hoping somebody who has ordered in the past 3-4 months can chime in.

nikunjpatel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I placed my order for my 240 right before xmas. The estimated build time once they have the deposit, is which is only by check is 7-8 months. That was the current lead time given to me by Katiria.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I placed my order for my 240 right before xmas, the estimated build time once the deposit which is by check is 7-8 months.

The news I expected but didn’t want to hear. Thanks, Nikunjpatel. You must be patient, it would be on my mind non-stop. Hope to see it once it’s all set up.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rushed my last two builds so I really am spending a lot of time planing this out...maybe too much time

You and I both. I’m cycling my dry rock in a brute tub for the first time and undeterred by the Reef Savvy lead time. So looks like the tank goes up in August.

nikunjpatel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last build came down in 2014, it was a miracles tank, excellent build btw and much more affordable. You may want consider them...I'm going with Reef Savvy this time because of the phantom bottom but honestly I don't think it really matters for me since the tank will be shallow shallow and eurobraced. I'm in the process of moving and then remodeling so I probably use longer lead time, sad to say.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last build came down in 2014, it was a miracles tank, excellent build btw and much more affordable. You may want consider them...I'm going with Reef Savvy this time because of the phantom bottom but honestly I don't think it really matters for me since the tank will be shallow shallow and eurobraced. I'm in the process of moving and then remodeling so I probably use longer lead time, sad to say.

Yeah even though I don’t need it with a tank this size, I’m going with Reef Savvy for the phantom bottom, anchored seams, and ghost overflow. Not to mention they just look incredible. The phantom bottom adds a sick accent to the tank too.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, i could not wait 6 turns into 9 months fast, i think shipping was around 500 to phx plus 200 for crate

Thanks for this info. Hopefully it comes within the time frame that they quote me. What size tank did you order that shipping was that much?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the best, that is where to go. If you are in a hurry and you are impatient, it is not the place to go. You will need to pay 50% up front and the balance is due before it ships. My shipping on a 125 was less than $500, plus about $150 for the crate. This was two years ago. You definitely want a crate. Just read through all of the threads about people receiving broken Red Sea tanks (some as many as three before they got one not broken) and others, even Elos. They know how to build tanks and they know how to get them to you undamaged. It took over a year to get mine, but there were some extenuating circumstances on mine, which were my doing. You likely won't get a tank in six months. Felix builds all the tanks himself, so with a large backlog of tanks to build - some of them huge, it takes time. When you open the crate and see the tank, you will see that the wait was worth it. I used the time to assemble most of my equipment and to pay off the balance on the tank.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tanks, a friend of mine got it and looks great, the build quality is superb but the wait time is beyond my patience...

They quoted me 6-8 months for a 240g, I ended up with the Reefer instead.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the best, that is where to go. If you are in a hurry and you are impatient, it is not the place to go. You will need to pay 50% up front and the balance is due before it ships. My shipping on a 125 was less than $500, plus about $150 for the crate. This was two years ago. You definitely want a crate. Just read through all of the threads about people receiving broken Red Sea tanks (some as many as three before they got one not broken) and others, even Elos. They know how to build tanks and they know how to get them to you undamaged. It took over a year to get mine, but there were some extenuating circumstances on mine, which were my doing. You likely won't get a tank in six months. Felix builds all the tanks himself, so with a large backlog of tanks to build - some of them huge, it takes time. When you open the crate and see the tank, you will see that the wait was worth it. I used the time to assemble most of my equipment and to pay off the balance on the tank.

Thanks for this response. It looks like I’ll be letting this dry rock cycle a lot longer than expected. I may just place my order, set up the tank I have and let the coralline take over while I wait while letting a couple fish fatten up.

I definitely plan on crating. When you’re spending this much money, skimping on the couple hundred dollars for something so expensive that you’ve waited months for seems nonsensical. Sounds like my shipping fees will be a little lighter considering my tank size which is a plus. If only a smaller tank meant a shorter build time...one can only hope.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tanks, a friend of mine got it and looks great, the build quality is superb but the wait time is beyond my patience...

They quoted me 6-8 months for a 240g, I ended up with the Reefer instead.

The reefers look great. I just don’t want an AIO. But my patience matches yours, so we’ll see how this goes...

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition, Felix is awesome to work with. Just as an example, I had a question about my overflow and sent him a private message on Facebook. He called me at 9:00 on a Sunday evening to help me, when he was about to leave on vacation the next morning. He wanted to make sure I got taken care of before he left. Plus I talked to him a number of times during the process of building the tank. Just be patient. There are no stock tanks sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Each one is custom made to order, based on what his customer wants. This is their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ReefSavvy/ Felix posts a lot of photos of tanks, if you want to check them out.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition, Felix is awesome to work with. Just as an example, I had a question about my overflow and sent him a private message on Facebook. He called me at 9:00 on a Sunday evening to help me, when he was about to leave on vacation the next morning. He wanted to make sure I got taken care of before he left. Plus I talked to him a number of times during the process of building the tank. Just be patient. There are no stock tanks sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Each one is custom made to order, based on what his customer wants. This is their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ReefSavvy/ Felix posts a lot of photos of tanks, if you want to check them out.

Great to know. I’ve only heard good things about Felix. Always happy to support a person who handles business that way. Thanks for pointing me to their Facebook. Hoping to receive my quote soon here.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back