Time for nopox?

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently pulled my biopellet reactor (3days) because Sps tips were burning and I assumed without testing my nutrients were depleted. I fed like crazy the last few days( roids, frozen, flake, pellets and nori)Today I received nitrate And phosphorus ulr tests and my parameters are as follows.
Salinity 34.6
Ph 8.15- 8.3
Temp 77.7
Cal 440
Alk 10.5
Phos 9ppb / .028ppm
Nitrate 30
Should I order nopox to have on hand? Maybe small doses in a few days?
I have went back to normal feeding and reduced lights. Also did 5 gallon water change. 40 gallon tank with 1dkh alk consumption daily. This is my first time ever testing for no3 and po4. Thanks!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you do, just be careful with NoPox. If you use it start off with a 1/4 dose and ramp up from their. Some reefers will say to just fine to start off with the recommended dose, and they may not be wrong, but I would recommend starting off with a 1/4 dose and increase a 1/4 dose weekly. NoPox can be a very powerful tool, and thus bottom out your N03 and P04. Also, it isn't uncommon to get Cyano after using NoPox which is why I say to start slow if you use it.

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use nopox and in my experience it isn't a quick way to drop nitrates if that is what you want, but it has worked very well for me. I do agree to start slow and ramp up your daily dose if you are using it, and I did get some light cyano at first but that disappeared after my tank settled back down.
Nopox can be great just keep and eye on levels as it uses both nitrate and phosphate and if phosphate hits 0 it won't be as effective.

OP
OP
Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of lowering it. Would you say I want it less than 8dkh? It was 12.1 when my problem started. Yesterday was 11.4 and today 10.5. (Had dosing pump off 24 hrs) now I’m dosing at 50% to slowly continue lowering it. Thanks!
If you are going to lower no3 and run your po4 at that range I would first lower alk to at least 8.
[/QUOTE

In the process of lowering it. Would you say I want it less than 8dkh? It was 12.1 when my problem started. Yesterday was 11.4 and today 10.5. (Had dosing pump off 24 hrs) now I’m dosing at 50% to slowly continue lowering it. Thanks!

OP
OP
Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing nopox can you start and stop? I’m not certain my po4 will remain that low in the future either.

OP
OP
Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so maybe I’ll just feed less in hopes my nitrates come down coupled with water changes occasionally? Is it possible my nitrates jumped way up in a few days with super heavy feeding?

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so maybe I’ll just feed less in hopes my nitrates come down coupled with water changes occasionally? Is it possible my nitrates jumped way up in a few days with super heavy feeding?
Yes it's entirely possible. Feeding less will help, but it won't happen over night. Do you have any other nutrient export like a fuge?

OP
OP
Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no fuge. Just a skimmer.how much will chaeto help with no3 and po4? One more than the other? I’d rather not set one up, tiny cube sump:(

Last edited:

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Caseyoidae I would cut back on your feeding to your normal levels and then do 25% water weekly changes for a few weeks and see what that does to your nitrates before using NoPox.

You might be able to get your nitrates and phosphates to levels you like with just a good water maintenance plan. Always worth a try.

OP
OP
Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ll drop my alk and do that. Thanks!

@Caseyoidae I would cut back on your feeding to your normal levels and then do 25% water weekly changes for a few weeks and see what that does to your nitrates before using NoPox.

You might be able to get your nitrates and phosphates to levels you like with just a good water maintenance plan. Always worth a try.

mrrtheory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you do, just be careful with NoPox. If you use it start off with a 1/4 dose and ramp up from their. Some reefers will say to just fine to start off with the recommended dose, and they may not be wrong, but I would recommend starting off with a 1/4 dose and increase a 1/4 dose weekly. NoPox can be a very powerful tool, and thus bottom out your N03 and P04. Also, it isn't uncommon to get Cyano after using NoPox which is why I say to start slow if you use it.

I wanted to add some input. I see a lot of people having issues with NoPox. It really can't be said any better than the quote above. I am not a chemistry major but Nopox seems to be a lot more powerful than other carbon sources. I have dialed in my dose on my 180-gallon reef to 2 ml every 6 hours (8 ml daily) and I now have to dose NO3 and feed very heavily or dose PO4 to keep nutrients off of the floor. I have a 5L jug hooked up to the system that lasts ~18 months. The product really takes weeks if not months from my observation to fully transition. In the beginning, I did get Dinos but I was overdosing the NoPox @ ~18-22 ml per day and was letting my nutrients sit at zero for weeks (which was cured with periods of darkness and Vibrant). Hopefully, some of this adds to the conversation.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not see a reason to use NOPOX over DIY organic carbon dosing with vodka or vinegar or both.

I wouldn't start it here for purposes of nitrate reduction, but organic carbon dosing also drives bacterial growth which can potentially feed filter feeders, and that, IMO, is a fine reason to use it, but be very careful to not drive nutrients too low, which is worse than too high.

OP
OP
Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, regarding vinegar dosing, I’ve been reading your articles and found a link to the chart pictured below. Is this a good starting point? Is a small consistent dose better long term as opposed to ramping up? ( to avoid bottoming out effects on no3, po4, ph and possibly o2) or is the whole point to ramp up while continuing to check no3 and po4 to find my tanks dose. assuming the chart is ml per day? My nitrates are 20 ppm and po4 is .04 ppm would this be a good time to start? Thanks for all the help guys!
I personally do not see a reason to use NOPOX over DIY organic carbon dosing with vodka or vinegar or both.

I wouldn't start it here for purposes of nitrate reduction, but organic carbon dosing also drives bacterial growth which can potentially feed filter feeders, and that, IMO, is a fine reason to use it, but be very careful to not drive nutrients too low, which is worse than too high.

ED4DB551-989D-43EF-8C2E-E360B7968523.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and started vinegar dosing just for the bacterial growth. Started at .8ml daily on a 40 gallon tank. Alk is at 9.4 dkh and working its way to 8 as slow as possible.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges

Second this. 1/4, 1/3 - either but as @Billldg suggested start slow and test at least twice a week. Having used it before I'll second and third it is a powerful product and will reduce both phosphate and nitrate. So read the instructions and reduce. I used 1/3, tested weekly, and only increased once a week same day. My phosphate was reduced faster than Nitrate for what it is worth.

A.so you must have a skimmer that is working properly. Not just working but I mean a good working skimmer. It is a must.

Edit: Also as Randy noted above there are also other options that may be safer.

OP
OP
Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am following Randy’s recommendation and using vinegar instead of nopox. I’ll still test a few times a week. I have a decent skimmer, new icecap k100 rated for 40-80 gallons. Thanks

OP
OP
Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still unsure of the dosing ramping. I think I’ll just stick with .8 for a while.
Edit; from what I read this should have very little effect. I have found some threads where randy has dosed quite a bit. @Randy Holmes-Farley am I on the right path? :) thanks!

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back