Time Lapse Photography

Pavonatech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tried it for the first time today. I don't care for how the hammer looked, it just seemed too noisy for me. I'm looking forward to tomorrow in the AM so I can catch some of the coral opening up

OP
OP
Pavonatech

Pavonatech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was cool. What did you use to take the video like that?

I have a nikon D5100. I was using an 18-55mm lens, with a tripod for stabilization. I ran the camera on a time delay to take a picture in different intervals. 999 pics at 6 second intervals for the first clip (Battery only made it to 400 or so), 999 at 1s for the frogspawn, but I will definitely have to find a new solution to time lapse with them. For the last one, it was the same as the frogspawn interval, although I ran it at about 25% speed to slow down the clip. Its not terribly obvious thank god, but still pretty bad.

I pretty much ****** with the settings on a case by case basis, so I can't provide any info as to that.

The time lapse isn't a video, its a composition of individual pictures. EG, let the camera take the 400 pics, go into Photoshop, import all 400 in series, export it as a video, in my case I chose 1920x1080 at 60fps. Today was my first attempts at doing it, so I haven't explored post processing yet, but that will likely be my next adventure. Once I get home from work tomorrow I want to try another 6 second interval with the leather coral (1st clip) with the pump fully off. You might have noticed the disturbance that pulsed on and off in the clip, causing the LED's to shimmer and the coral to destabilize. It had a smooth pulsing effect when the pump was off, and I would like to do an even longer time lapse. Maybe running it at a more cinematic 24 FPS and getting RAW images in place of JPG's.

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great. I'll see if I can do that with my D3200. Thanks for the idea !

OP
OP
Pavonatech

Pavonatech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Definitely would be cool watching the lights come on and the corals (especially zoas) open up
My issue is the battery. i leave for work 2 hrs before my lights come on, and it generally only lasts a couple hours under timelapse. I need a dummy battery so I can just mount it to a wall socket and be done with it

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue is the battery. i leave for work 2 hrs before my lights come on, and it generally only lasts a couple hours under timelapse. I need a dummy battery so I can just mount it to a wall socket and be done with it

You could always snag the extended battery grip for the D5100. I think they're like $40? Should double your battery life. Not sure what other solutions are to that issue beside the dummy battery you can just plug into the wall

OP
OP
Pavonatech

Pavonatech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always snag the extended battery grip for the D5100. I think they're like $40? Should double your battery life. Not sure what other solutions are to that issue beside the dummy battery you can just plug into the wall

Ittl have to be the dummy battery unfortunately. I'll already have to mutilate my tripod to make that thing fit... I also need a good macro lense. I ****** hate shooting on a regular lense when I want detail.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back