Time to dose Nitrates!

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOC = dissolved organic carbon.
Zeovit is good, I would of went with Zeovit if I new more about it when I started my tank. BRS does an awesome job explaining it and I defiantly would of picked it. And now I have no room in sump for reactor so I decided not too. A little bit expensive but it has been shown to work. No clue on Aquaforest. But if you have the money for Zeovit I think its defiantly a good solution for pristine water (Because it has been shown to work).

Also, yes I had a refug in my tank a while. But wasn't using it for nutrien export was using it to feed live pods. Was planning on getting a mandarin so I had a fug in my middle compartment. Now I have a big skimmer. Refugiums are good for the right purposes, if your trying to use it as nutrient export I have read you need a body as big as your tank for "actual" export. Anything smaller is just a waste and will have little impact.
Duh!-obviously it's Disolved organic compounds! Thanks I just could not come up with that. I'm an RN and have learned to hate acronyms. Anyway, I am really considering at least going partial zeovit as I'm starting with mostly all dead sand and all the rock will be dead. However i am wondering how I'm gonna get all those beneficial hitch hikers like pineapple sponges and worms. But I digress, what I'm planning is a total 40 gal fuge for pods and nutrient export and probably close to 20gal of a 30gal sump cryptic zone for sponge-nutrient export. So I should be approaching that 1:1 ratio you mentioned. I'm not convinced that the zeovit reactor does anything that some good rock rubble with decent flow won't do. When I started reef keeping in 2000 I was taught Berlin method I guess- lots of rock-fuge etc. this time around I'm leaning towards a hybrid of old school/new school. Not sure if the two will conflict but time will tell. Thoughts?

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duh!-obviously it's Disolved organic compounds! Thanks I just could not come up with that. I'm an RN and have learned to hate acronyms. Anyway, I am really considering at least going partial zeovit as I'm starting with mostly all dead sand and all the rock will be dead. However i am wondering how I'm gonna get all those beneficial hitch hikers like pineapple sponges and worms. But I digress, what I'm planning is a total 40 gal fuge for pods and nutrient export and probably close to 20gal of a 30gal sump cryptic zone for sponge-nutrient export. So I should be approaching that 1:1 ratio you mentioned. I'm not convinced that the zeovit reactor does anything that some good rock rubble with decent flow won't do. When I started reef keeping in 2000 I was taught Berlin method I guess- lots of rock-fuge etc. this time around I'm leaning towards a hybrid of old school/new school. Not sure if the two will conflict but time will tell. Thoughts?

i had a new school tank. biopellets, gfo, gac reactors etc.
i went back to berlin /w a semi cryptic fuge.

mother nature has a way of balancing things on her own.

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with 100% new school and now going back to old school. I've seen no growth with this new school of keeping a tank:(.
I would have a refug if I could put a 90g tub in my room but I'm on the second floor and it would go through the floor haha. Next tank thought will have a big refug

Just tested and got a reading from 1-2ppm dosed 10mL again going to see where that takes me. Monti looks a little red'er then normal so that is a good sign. As for growth wise still no signs. Might lower lights even more to add more light into tank.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with 100% new school and now going back to old school. I've seen no growth with this new school of keeping a tank:(.
I would have a refug if I could put a 90g tub in my room but I'm on the second floor and it would go through the floor haha. Next tank thought will have a big refug

Just tested and got a reading from 1-2ppm dosed 10mL again going to see where that takes me. Monti looks a little red'er then normal so that is a good sign. As for growth wise still no signs. Might lower lights even more to add more light into tank.

a good indicator is to turn on actinics before the light schedule.
look at the tips of the acros and you will see some flourescing. they will grow larger each day.

funny that your tank is sucking up all the nitrates like that

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a good indicator is to turn on actinics before the light schedule.
look at the tips of the acros and you will see some flourescing. they will grow larger each day.

funny that your tank is sucking up all the nitrates like that
Will try that!
Yeah I don't know it seems like a lot to me too. Skimmer is only on half the day too might just turn it off in a week or 2 if nothing improves. Also could be because I have a decent amount of LPS that havn't had nitrates for over a year so they might be loving it.

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested again. Nitrates at a nice 2-4ppm I think 3 to be exact. So looking good so far. Going to keep testing 2 times a day and wait for improvement:cool:

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested again. Nitrates at a nice 2-4ppm I think 3 to be exact. So looking good so far. Going to keep testing 2 times a day and wait for improvement:cool:

i say click on those actinic tomorrow before the photoperiod and observe

you should see results anytime now.

jaguars4263

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Russ265 once you get the levels in the range you want how often do you have to keep dosing? I've never used that stuff before and am curious how it works and last.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Russ265 once you get the levels in the range you want how often do you have to keep dosing? I've never used that stuff before and am curious how it works and last.

man it ebbs and flows. sometimes i get nitrate sucked up like a sponge. others itll last without dosing for a couple weeks.

i read a few white papers on inorganic nitrate and symbiodinium and it seems corals are really adaptive to energy sources.

eg: feeding and such. they are really adaptable creatures. the fact you are looking at a half plant/ half animal really makes for some mind boggling hypothesis.

i do know if you start with no3 that they start utilizing proteins for development, but you could also go the way of nh4 and there is a striking parallel with something as simple as a tree and their chloroplasts.

id have to really go in to "help my sps are paling and i dont know what to do" part 2 to explain it all.

...and yes. there are formulas beyond a bubbler. :)

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up a little bit early to see how the tips fluoresce. And from what I saw was that the middle looked a lot better then the actual tips on my colony and my acros but my Birds nest coral didn't seem too well. Lights have been on for almost a hour and the tips are still not fully out, looks half closed actually. Might be not long enough but we will see.

Just tested Nitrates again got a reading of 2ppm to 4ppm so finally not going to dose for a change. Just fed the tanks and all corals so hopefully it looks better.

As for coloring the middles of most corals do look darker but the tips are still whiter then the body. But at least the body is coloring up. But still no clue whats going on with the birdsnest. I did figure out how to properly cool my lights last night. There were running a little too hot but that was the only thing I changed.

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested Par reading last night the bulbs were running around 60C so I cooled them down to 35C like suggested but at 60C I was getting 620 Par above the water line now im getting 530 Par same spot. When "cooled" properly. Any suggestions?

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man it ebbs and flows. sometimes i get nitrate sucked up like a sponge. others itll last without dosing for a couple weeks.

That's interesting. Why don't you think you get a steady state. It's a closed environment. Assuming lighting, flow and nutrient levels are constant what is changing?
i read a few white papers on inorganic nitrate and symbiodinium and it seems corals are really adaptive to energy sources.
White papers. I love the term. But a Google search does not make a white paper. Unless you consider advanced aquarist the definitive publication. Can you please share reference for the white papers
eg: feeding and such. they are really adaptable creatures. the fact you are looking at a half plant/ half animal really makes for some mind boggling hypothesis.

i do know if you start with no3 that they start utilizing proteins for development, but you could also go the way of nh4 and there is a striking parallel with something as simple as a tree and their chloroplasts.
Nitrates or ammonium, do you have any thoughts on which would be better
id have to really go in to "help my sps are paling and i dont know what to do" part 2 to explain it all.

...and yes. there are formulas beyond a bubbler. :)
Controlling DOC (dissolved organic compounds) and TOC (total organic compounds) I believe is a reasonable idea. Seems GAC (granulated active carbon), bacteria and skimmers may all have a positive role in bringing TOC to reef like levels.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested Par reading last night the bulbs were running around 60C so I cooled them down to 35C like suggested but at 60C I was getting 620 Par above the water line now im getting 530 Par same spot. When "cooled" properly. Any suggestions?

its not unheard of for par to fluctuate. id say you get 575 par and be done.
600 par at the surface is just fine for most corals.

if corals are darkening, thats a good sign if they were pale.
surprised tips of certain coral werent flourescing, however i never saw milli tips doing it.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controlling DOC (dissolved organic compounds) and TOC (total organic compounds) I believe is a reasonable idea. Seems GAC (granulated active carbon), bacteria and skimmers may all have a positive role in bringing TOC to reef like levels.

bwahahahahhh

god you need to learn a thing or two. here...

thisll get you started.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0025024

that is based on a white paper.
i develop software off theoreticals involving whitepapers written by mathematicians.

nh4 is more efficient by 1.15~ vs nitrate 1.05~ conversion rate iirc. (based on memory... do your own research) equations for both are widely circulated.

the rest isnt worth my time

Last edited:

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez
bwahahahahhh

god you need to learn a thing or two. here...

thisll get you started.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0025024

that is based on a white paper.
the rest isnt worth my time

Here we go again. Every time your challenged, you get mean. Not necessary. Forums are about dialogue and exchange of information.

The article you quote is interesting on temperature change and nutrients in a natural reef. No one is cooking their reef tanks so not sure why you referencing it as seminal on dinoflagellates (symbodidium) and nitrates. I will definitely give you credit for quickly googling nutrients and the reef.

So you don't want to discuss DOC's. Or steady states. Or why your nitrate consumption fluctuates. It's ok.

If you want to make suggestions to other reefers, it's cool. If you don't want to discuss science, it's ok too. Maybe you'll share your thriving tank or talk about your Dino problems, or what piece of equipment broke so there is no coral to talk about. It's all cool. This is another time where an effort to bring the discussion to the science and you get all difficult.

There is so much new information coming out on nutrition, nitrates, symbodidium, DOC's, it's a shame you won't enter these discussions in a collegial manner. I don't know what you really know or don't know about reefing, I just know that you won't engage fully in these discussions without getting petty.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez

Here we go again. Every time your challenged, you get mean. Not necessary. Forums are about dialogue and exchange of information.

The article you quote is interesting on temperature change and nutrients in a natural reef. No one is cooking their reef tanks so not sure why you referencing it as seminal on dinoflagellates (symbodidium) and nitrates. I will definitely give you credit for quickly googling nutrients and the reef.

So you don't want to discuss DOC's. Or steady states. Or why your nitrate consumption fluctuates. It's ok.

If you want to make suggestions to other reefers, it's cool. If you don't want to discuss science, it's ok too. Maybe you'll share your thriving tank or talk about your Dino problems, or what piece of equipment broke so there is no coral to talk about. It's all cool. This is another time where an effort to bring the discussion to the science and you get all difficult.

There is so much new information coming out on nutrition, nitrates, symbodidium, DOC's, it's a shame you won't enter these discussions in a collegial manner. I don't know what you really know or don't know about reefing, I just know that you won't engage fully in these discussions without getting petty.

watchguy.
you have been the biggest poopooer when i first brought up nitrate dosing.

when you exasperate a situation where i find it less-than-friendly (or assume such) ill naturally get a little defensive.

i dont mind discussing anything and everything in terms of science. however, some of those questions seem to point me to cite my sources or that i am just making stuff up on the fly, in my fairy tale land trying to mislead the community.

i assure you, this is not the case.

i dont mind extending the olive branch and being civil if we can hit a reset button between us.

i hope through this info, some of the old 1990s or 1970s reef keeping strategies kind of die because a lot of the time it is an old wive's tale.

remember when tv would rott your brain?
or if you are cold and wet you will catch a cold?

i find it fascinating some of the research on our mixotrophic lil friends. hopefully collectively we can expand upon it.

i didnt mean to tear in to you too rough, but i kind of get tired of repeating myself and finding some white paper i read months ago / citing it.

also the world wide web has a trove of information. it was meant to be the information highway. a simple google and cross checks will cite many many sources.
if you imply i should be picking up a book on the subject, i am sorry. i just look at data.
i dont care the story.
-if you believe i should be in the field conducting this research... it is a hobby to me. nothing more.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back