Time To Officially Join

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I've been in the hobby and lurking around R2R and Reddit since winter of 2017. Unfortunately had far more downs than ups (overly aggressive damsels are officially the bane of my existence) - I had to deal with multiple full crashes, a move across town, chemistry terrors, bad hitchhikers, the aforementioned Damsels of Doom (tm) - the usual terrible stuff, even after reading and getting help where possible. I'm finally in a good place with my (somewhat) little tank and hoping to expand more soon, though.

Currently have a 55g wide with a Leviathan slimline sump containing a Magus skimmer and refugium section, with Tunze ATO doing fill ups. After saving for ~a year, I got it all hooked up to an Apex housed in an armoire that I modified heavily to contain the unit, and includes all the fun buttons, switches, and readouts we love to have, including controlling the cabinet LEDs. Currently have a small stock, but I like it:
  • Blood orange clown hosted in Sebae nem
  • Orangeback fairy wrasse
  • Diamond goby
  • African Firefish
  • Cleaner shrimp
  • Corals - 2 "major" Zoa colonies, 1 minor, GSP, favia colony, hammer
20190604_175429.jpg

Major look of the setup - works very well, particularly having the testing kits readily available along with additives as needed, including my notebook for daily info tracking. I also have a 100 gpd (started as 50) RODI system in the bathroom to make all my various waters.

20190604_175452.jpg

Leonard Nemo enjoys hanging out in his backyard.

I've got a few goals in mind for the next few months-year, and in part they're why I wanted to more formally join the community:
  • More livestock - by far the biggest goal for me. This includes getting a sustained rotifer population for a Mandarin and a good number of corals. Money being the obvious toughest aspect.
  • Hardened plumbing - I've had 2 problems with major leaks in the past, and while the setup I currently have is MUCH more solid (proper clamps, glued PVC where possible), it's still vinyl tubing. Biggest issue here is the small space available under the cabinet, but I'd like to have something better.
  • Pest control - aiptasia pops up on rare occasions, and I'm always worried about other issues like this
That's it for me, though, thanks so much for being an awesome community and I'm glad to be able to participate more in the future!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! It sounds like you have been on quite the adventure! Hopefully the information and community that you find here will make this journey a bit less overwhelming. We’re glad you’re here!

OP
OP
Blutspitze

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Bergia nudi’s got rid of my aiptasia with no effects on tank chemistry.

I've read about those awesome little dudes, but I haven't been able to find them yet. I really want to get one or two to be safe and keep the stuff in check.

Welcome to R2R!!! It sounds like you have been on quite the adventure! Hopefully the information and community that you find here will make this journey a bit less overwhelming. We’re glad you’re here!

For sure on all counts. Anyone who does this is really gonna have similar experiences of crazy adventure. Info has helped a LOT before joining, so I'm sure it'll be that much better after!

Welcome to R2R!
Wtr2r59.gif
#WelcometoR2R

Thanks very much!

Welcome to R2R! This entire hobby is a pain! Lol

Yes indeed - found this out after... maybe a couple weeks haha!

Welcome to Reef 2 Reef !!!

Thanks very much!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read about those awesome little dudes, but I haven't been able to find them yet. I really want to get one or two to be safe and keep the stuff in check.

For sure on all counts. Anyone who does this is really gonna have similar experiences of crazy adventure. Info has helped a LOT before joining, so I'm sure it'll be that much better after!

Thanks very much!

Yes indeed - found this out after... maybe a couple weeks haha!

Thanks very much!
I get mine from Salty Underground, but their also is a R2R sponsor that sells them, Reeftown I believe, never tried them but they have great prices. I would get 5 as they need to be able to find each other to breed and to attack the aiptasia.

OP
OP
Blutspitze

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get mine from Salty Underground, but their also is a R2R sponsor that sells them, Reeftown I believe, never tried them but they have great prices. I would get 5 as they need to be able to find each other to breed and to attack the aiptasia.

OK cool - I've never done livestock shipping other than getting corals from some of the major companies; have you had any issues? I really worry about not getting things locally.

Welcome to R2R and your new reefing family and welcome to the roller coaster of all hobbies.

That's quite an understatement... it seems getting to "decently stable" is about the highest accomplishment one can achieve :D

Welcome to the reef!

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Youre well on your way and were glad you joined us !!!

WELCOME-NEW-MEMBER-TEAL-HEART-.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back