Time to plan my sump! Have input?

ReefHeretic

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2015
Messages
21
Reaction score
9
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25c3d4ee3e34ff3b8fa224c1dbcd3cbe.jpg


Mock-up of my 40-long sump design for a 110 Gallon 60" Oceanic tank. Overflows go into a flow-through with a hanger for two filter socks. Then to the skimmer chamber. Skimmer is a Vertex omega 180i. Flows from there into a refugium (thinking lettuce algae and mud) then into the return (12000 l/hr DC pump).

I have room after the sump for 3 reactors in the cabinet. Each can be run off the return line manifold valves with custom pressures.
 
Looks good! If your making this yourself, be sure to cut a piece out of the filter sock holders so you can slide the socks in and out instead of lifting them out. I found that to be much easier and let messy. Of course I have a drain pipe that flows into the socks under the water level, so I had to take that part of the pipe off then remove the socks ect ect. really annoying until I did the cuts on the sides.
 
Yeah my sock goes over the drain in my current sump. Lived and learned there. Funny thing is, I saw a sump from Synergy Reef yesterday, and they set socks up the same way that I'm planning on. So weird!
 
Make sure you make it as big as you have room/budget for. There is noting worse than trying to do something in a sump too small. Equipment fixes, cleaning, and water changes are so much less aggravating when you have space to work in there. My tank is an 85g what the heck a 125g sump. Needless to say maintenance is almost enjoyable on my setup.

Just my .02
 
Make sure you make it as big as you have room/budget for. There is noting worse than trying to do something in a sump too small. Equipment fixes, cleaning, and water changes are so much less aggravating when you have space to work in there. My tank is an 85g *** a 125g sump. Needless to say maintenance is almost enjoyable on my setup.

Just my .02
So, #1, Doc, you took my gaming handle! [emoji41]

#2: couldn't agree more. That's why I spent forever hunting a 40G long (got a good deal, too!) to ensure adequate space. I also to a cardboard divider mock-up IN the cabinet with the equipment in the sump, just to check!

Appreciating the input all!
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new