OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well urs is higher than mine . Mine is around 550 and I haven't been any water changes due to using ATI essentials . I have done a few wc to bring down not only Li but high levels of silica from siporax and high levels of lanthanum from using lanthanum chloride to handle phosphates .

Still honestly am not sure if levels of Li as high as 900 or 1000 is enough to kill corals that quick . I personally had them in 800s with no problem .

Here's a quick search of the presence of Li in water :-

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/detox-to-remove-elevated-lithium-levels.225766/

May be Randy or anyone else can say what's the impact of high Li but I haven't seen any yet .

Regards,
Abhishek
Thanks. I am aware of the various dialogues on Li and how high levels should not cause problems. Just seems coincidental that things turned around after switching salts, but again I need to do another Triton test to see where everything stands now.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keith,

How's the tank coming along man ? Was watching your live feed and it sure does look good from a distance .
Am planning to revamp my lighting from 2 250 geissemann crystal halides only to a single geissemann spectra with 250 watt 10K xm or reeflux and 4 blue plus bulbs with 2 reefbrite led strips.
How did you wire them ? My biggest concern is I wont be able to wire them .

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keith,

How's the tank coming along man ? Was watching your live feed and it sure does look good from a distance .
Am planning to revamp my lighting from 2 250 geissemann crystal halides only to a single geissemann spectra with 250 watt 10K xm or reeflux and 4 blue plus bulbs with 2 reefbrite led strips.
How did you wire them ? My biggest concern is I wont be able to wire them .

Regards,
Abhishek
The tank has been doing MUCH better the last few weeks. I did lose a number of frags but the ones that survived are now regrowing over areas where there were burnt tips and recession. Planning to do another Triton test very soon to see what changed after the change in salt. Here are the wiring instructions I followed to connect my fixtures to the Luxcore ballasts. They are at the bottom of the page: https://reefbum.com/my-setup/lighting/

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why use two 24” instead of one 48 inch fixture?
My tank is 60" and I can't recall at the time whether a 60" fixture was available. I do have two islands in my tank so I wanted to center the two 24" fixtures over them....probably doesn't make a big difference versus using one 48" fixture.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been doing MUCH better the last few weeks. I did lose a number of frags but the ones that survived are now regrowing over areas where there were burnt tips and recession. Planning to do another Triton test very soon to see what changed after the change in salt. Here are the wiring instructions I followed to connect my fixtures to the Luxcore ballasts. They are at the bottom of the page: https://reefbum.com/my-setup/lighting/

Thanks Keith for the link . How often do you change T5 bulbs as they don't have cooling fans like ATI does .

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank went through a very rough patch at the end of the year/beginning of this year. I believe it was due primarily to very low phosphate. Here is an updated video of the tank, which has rebounded :)

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really bummer Keith. I miss your tank from CT and still hold that tank as the gold standard.

Hopefully you'll get this sorted out soon. All the best...Tony

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing... always rewarding to see frags starting to encrusted from burned tips! IME I assumed my cheato and skimmer would never bring my phosphates to undetectable but sure enough I was wrong - had a similiar issue few times but bleached base. I have tested Phosphates daily for 1 month and was surprised and how much they change based on feeding, skimmer line, and cheato. Thankful for the Hanna ULR checker since I found out I was overskimming and overlighting the tank during these time. I now prefer to keep my phoshpates above 0.05 the corals look more healthier and gives me more room for error in catching a problem. Good luck

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really bummer Keith. I miss your tank from CT and still hold that tank as the gold standard.

Hopefully you'll get this sorted out soon. All the best...Tony
Yeah......that was a great tank :) Things are starting to turn around with this one.

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing... always rewarding to see frags starting to encrusted from burned tips! IME I assumed my cheato and skimmer would never bring my phosphates to undetectable but sure enough I was wrong - had a similiar issue few times but bleached base. I have tested Phosphates daily for 1 month and was surprised and how much they change based on feeding, skimmer line, and cheato. Thankful for the Hanna ULR checker since I found out I was overskimming and overlighting the tank during these time. I now prefer to keep my phoshpates above 0.05 the corals look more healthier and gives me more room for error in catching a problem. Good luck
Yes, my nutrient export was too efficient. Right now I am experimenting without using a skimmer so I will see how that goes.

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fews pics....

Battlecorals Spainbow
Macros-Feb-2018-pic1.jpg

AquaSD Rainbow Millie
Macros-Feb-2018-pic2.jpg

Unique Corals Original Strawberry Shortcake (from MACNA '09)
Macros-Feb-2018-pic3.jpg

Bubblegum Millie
Macros-Feb-2018-pic4.jpg

ORA Red Planet
Macros-Feb-2018-pic5.jpg

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has continued to make some good progress since the beginning of the year. Here is a series of full tank shots since a year ago. As I mentioned before, I lost a lot of frags at the end of last year due to either very low phosphates in the tank or a rusty magnet, but things have turned around.

April 30th, 2017

Full-Tank-April-30-2017-1.jpg

September 24th, 2017

Sep-24-2017-Full-Tank-pic2_edited-2.jpg

February 18th, 2018

Full-Tank-Feb-18-2018-pic1.jpg

July 27th, 2018

Full-Tank-Shot-July-27-2018.jpg

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has continued to make some good progress since the beginning of the year. Here is a series of full tank shots since a year ago. As I mentioned before, I lost a lot of frags at the end of last year due to either very low phosphates in the tank or a rusty magnet, but things have turned around.

April 30th, 2017

Full-Tank-April-30-2017-1.jpg

September 24th, 2017

Sep-24-2017-Full-Tank-pic2_edited-2.jpg

February 18th, 2018

Full-Tank-Feb-18-2018-pic1.jpg

July 27th, 2018

Full-Tank-Shot-July-27-2018.jpg

Looking awesome Keith . Soon it will reach the pinnacle like your old tank . I would love to see a list of the acros you got !!!

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome Keith . Soon it will reach the pinnacle like your old tank . I would love to see a list of the acros you got !!!

Regards,
Abhishek
Yeah.....hopefully it will keep doing well.

Here is a partial list of my SPS:

Oregon Blue Tort
Tyree Purple Monster
Unique Corals Orignal Strawberry Shortcake
Upscales Microclados
Tyree Pink Lemonade
Tyree Red Dragon
Hawkins Echinata
Icefire Echinata
Cali Tort
ORA Pearlberry
ORA Red Planet
Poor Man's Battlestag
Purple Slimer
Garf Bonsai
Tyree Lime in The Sky
Copps Hulk Millie
Sunset Monti
Superman Monti
ATL Shades of Fall
SC Orange Passion
AquaSD Rainbow Millie
Forest Fire Digi
Orange Setosa
Aussie Wolverine
Palmers Blue Millie
Greg Hiller Aqua Delight
Reverse Superman Montipora
Tubbs Stellata Montipora
Tri-color Valida
Sunset Millie

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back