Timid clowns. A new addition?

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I have to gloriously beautiful derps that have been hosting my back corner for weeks. Right under a return where the magna float usually parks. Only other fish is watchman goby. I’m ready that some have success when adding a peaceful open water swimmer ? Makes the clowns more apt to swim about more ? Suggestions ? 28 gallon.
Some coral. Too young for a BTA

Andy Reagan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you’ve had them for weeks if that is how long they have been hosting there, they will get more curious of rock work,etc. If your tank is too young for bta try some soft coral such as leathers, torches, etc. It might interest them but don’t fret they will probably find somewhere else to host but it may be a while lol.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They started front corner. Have moved to back corner for past 3-4 weeks. Large Duncan. Large toad. 4 headed hammer and small frags are in tank.

A social fish wouldn’t help? They are active in the current but always back there.

Andy Reagan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
COULD help, sure. Clowns are so unpredictable at times, maybe cardinals or other open water swimmers would help. It seems like a sound hypothesis to me... keep us posted.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. Love them. Considering PJ cardinals. Doing additional research currently. also looking at basslets.

Last edited:

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. Love them. Considering PJ cardinals. Doing additional research currently. also looking at basslets.
I've kept a cardinal with my clown pair for the past 5 years. They chase him occasionally but never anything crazy. It's fairly likely they will change their hosting spot at some point, especially if you give them something more attractive like a cave or euphillia. My guys did the same thing when they were new, then they hosted my frogspawn until it was lost, now they found a cave that they like. Rearranging the tank could trigger a new hosting spot as well.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a cardinal with my clown pair for the past 5 years. They chase him occasionally but never anything crazy. It's fairly likely they will change their hosting spot at some point, especially if you give them something more attractive like a cave or euphillia. My guys did the same thing when they were new, then they hosted my frogspawn until it was lost, now they found a cave that they like. Rearranging the tank could trigger a new hosting spot as well.
Thank you for the suggestions. I did just add in a Hammer. So maybe I’ll give it a couple weeks then maybe move some rock around. Ok to do this with them in there or does it matter.

662E398E-5A7A-42C6-BE68-4F505CBADDB3.jpeg

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns started in the front corner then shifted to the left back corner. I put a nem in the tank for them 7 months ago and they ignore it. The nem settled in the middle of my 5 foot tank and the clowns have been in the back corner for 10 months. People say the clowns will find the nem eventually and I know they will but my social fish haven't done a thing to draw them away from the corner. The male even started attacking my flipper when I scrape the glass. Might as well get used to seeing them back there. My last clowns were the same, I'm just grateful these dont float on the surface sideways like the last ones lol.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do follow my hand and magna float along with my cleaner shrimp though lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back