Tim's 40 Gallon

mcdonaldtj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, After finally getting a handle on the green hair algae problem in my tank I though I would post pictures of my tank here. Here is what I have.
Standard 40 gallon tank using HOB overflow Rio 1100 for return with coralife 18 watt UV inline. (want to change to an Ehiem 1260)
4X 39 Watt T-5 Retrofit powered by Icecap 660. 2 x Icecap 14K midday, 1 Icecap 460NM, 1 x Kz Fiji Purple.
2 Blue Stunner Strips for Dusk to dawn affect. (not enough)
Skimmer SWC 160 Cone (Awesome)
20 Long Sump with 3 sections
Flow is provided by 1 MP40. (This thing is awesome)
Fish
1 small blue tang
1 small yellow tang
1 Diamond Goby
2 Ocellerous clowns
1 cleaner wrasse
1 cleaner shrimp
various hermits and Nass Snails
1 mexican turbo snail
Before people start shouting about the tangs I know that this tank is kind of small for them but try telling your wife that and see what happens hehehe, As they grow I will change them out for small ones again. She won't let me get a bigger tank or I would go that way LOL.
Well now on to the pictures
FTS
FTS9CT10.jpg

SUMP
Sump10OCT10.jpg

Pink Birdsnest from Rob This thing is growing like crazy already
PinkBirdsnest210OCT10.jpg

Green Birdsnest from Rob
GreenBirdsnest9OCT10.jpg

Zoas
Zooz9OCT10.jpg

OrangeZoos9OCT10.jpg

Fuzzy Shrooms from Rob along with some green zoa's. There were only 4 shrooms to start with.
GreenShoomsandFuzzyMushrooms9OCT10.jpg

OP
OP
mcdonaldtj

mcdonaldtj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large frag of blue digita that I picked up from Josh last week. Already coloring up well.
LargeBlueDigita9OCT10.jpg

Small Frag of same
SmallBlueDigita0OCT10.jpg

Candy Canes with blue zoa's on the stem from Nick
CandyCane9OCT10.jpg

Purple Monicap that I got from Chad that was almost gone when I got it. smaller than a dime Thanks Chad
PurpleMonticap9OCT10.jpg

RBTA that for some reason my clowns wont go near.
RBTA9OCT10.jpg

Pink Tipped hammer that has grown from 4 heads to 8 in 2 months.
PinkTippedHammer10OCT10.jpg

And finally my Scoly that I won at a SDMAS meeting before I left for Afghanistan that Chad was nice enough to keep for me until I got back.
Scoly9OCT10.jpg

Thanks all for looking I will keep things updated.
V/Tim

Last edited:

RadReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hehehe yea I have a few but if I Joe's juice them they multiply :) I have to get a few Peps :).

The tank looks so clean. Is that hair algae in the sump? It might be Bryopsis algae, if you could get a better pic it's easily identified. You might try encasing the aiptasia with reef epoxy, I did that in a previous tank and it worked well. I would also buy some of those peps you mentioned.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the epoxy aptasia tomb. Its always worked for me if I find one here or there.

OP
OP
mcdonaldtj

mcdonaldtj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments, I will try the epoxy idea, especially where they are at. I dont think that the holes they are in are all the way through the rock. There is some hair algae in the sump along with the chaeto. It doesnt bother me there though hehehe.

V/Tim

OP
OP
mcdonaldtj

mcdonaldtj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
h the one thing that I did though was bring the time that the T5 lights were on down a couple of hours a day when I put the stunner strips in for dusk to dawn less light to feed algae in the tank.

SlackTide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
h the one thing that I did though was bring the time that the T5 lights were on down a couple of hours a day when I put the stunner strips in for dusk to dawn less light to feed algae in the tank.
HA is nutrient and light driven, the reduction lighting makes more sense, running carbon will improve the lighting spectrum by removing the yellow from the water, always wondered what became of the mounds of bacteria the uv kills

RadReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you want to epoxy the aip I would suggest scaring it into it's hole. You can accomplish this by either poking it with your finger or tweezers etc. Large aips reproduce sexually but small and large aips can reproduce asexually, so if there's a tentacle sticking out it can make a new one.

OP
OP
mcdonaldtj

mcdonaldtj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hope that the hole it is in doesnt go through to the other side and it gets away hehehe. I only see 4 o them right now so they really arent bothering me too much except whn I take pictures :). I am going to try that tomorrow.

OP
OP
mcdonaldtj

mcdonaldtj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HA is nutrient and light driven, the reduction lighting makes more sense, running carbon will improve the lighting spectrum by removing the yellow from the water, always wondered what became of the mounds of bacteria the uv kills

The only thing tat I did see with the UV is that I dont have to clean the glass as often. The tank was new and I went skimmerless for while until I got the SWC in the mail (that took a month). I didn't do too many water changes and the rock that I used was in a bucket of water for 8 months that I was in Afghanistan so I think that it had some PO4 in it from die off that happened. I am waiting for the rocks to purple up now Thank you all for the comments :).

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 73 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.6%

Back