Tim's One and Only instructions are definitely wrong

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried using Tim's One and Only + the Ammonia that's part of the kit, five times now over the past 5 - 6 years. Every time, the recommended 4 drops per gallon just completely over doses the tank. Every time I've had to completely drain and restart after weeks of waiting. Maybe it's user error, but I don't know how I can drop differently. It's infuriating.

If you read the forums, almost every single person has the same issue with having way too much ammonia and needing to restart.

So I'm setting up two tanks at the same time (a temporary tank while my home is remodeling, and a QT tank). For the temporary tank (40G breeder), I only put in 25 drops (a teeny tiny amount vs the recommended). For the QT tank, which is a 10G, I put in 20 drops (half the amount, just to try it out).

In the 40G, I was getting 1.2ppm on only 25 drops. On the 10G, it was off the charts.

I'm on week 3, and my 10G is still 2ppm+ in ammonia (I'm using a Red Sea test and a Salifert, both new, and both off the charts). My 40G using just 25 drops has fully cycled.

I'm doing a full restart of my QT tank (it's only 10G, so it's easy), but now I have to buy more tim's one and only. Ugh. I'll only be using maybe 5 drops this time.

So just beware, use a tiny bit of the recommended ammonia drops with the Tim's method.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've tried using Tim's One and Only + the Ammonia that's part of the kit, five times now over the past 5 - 6 years. Every time, the recommended 4 drops per gallon just completely over doses the tank. Every time I've had to completely drain and restart after weeks of waiting. Maybe it's user error, but I don't know how I can drop differently. It's infuriating.

If you read the forums, almost every single person has the same issue with having way too much ammonia and needing to restart.

So I'm setting up two tanks at the same time (a temporary tank while my home is remodeling, and a QT tank). For the temporary tank (40G breeder), I only put in 25 drops (a teeny tiny amount vs the recommended). For the QT tank, which is a 10G, I put in 20 drops (half the amount, just to try it out).

In the 40G, I was getting 1.2ppm on only 25 drops. On the 10G, it was off the charts.

I'm on week 3, and my 10G is still 2ppm+ in ammonia (I'm using a Red Sea test and a Salifert, both new, and both off the charts). My 40G using just 25 drops has fully cycled.

I'm doing a full restart of my QT tank (it's only 10G, so it's easy), but now I have to buy more tim's one and only. Ugh. I'll only be using maybe 5 drops this time.

So just beware, use a tiny bit of the recommended ammonia drops with the Tim's method.
Keep in mind useable gallibs
If you have a 120 gallon as an example, with Rick and other solids you are dosing for /05-110 gallons, not 120g

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 with a 30 gallon sump that is 155 gallon but . I put everything in the sump and the tank and filled it 5 gallons at a time it only holds 120 g. Altogether. That is why you over dose.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 drops per gallon is the instructions.

In the 10G, even if I only had 5G, that's 20 drops, which is what I did. There's no rock, no sand, just a handful of MarinePure gems.

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've always been fine when subtracting out the rock, sand, etc. Also... i'm not sitting there putting 200 drops in my tank. I use the conversion on the front of the bottle which says 1 tsp = 100 drops and adjusted accordingly to my tank size. Also, for what it's worth, day one says 4 DROPS and 4 DROPS ONLY... not per gallon. Doing this gives you an idea about how much ammonia you are adding and a better idea of how many drops are needed to reach your goal.

1660584328579.png

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been fine when subtracting out the rock, sand, etc. Also... i'm not sitting there putting 200 drops in my tank. I use the conversion on the front of the bottle which says 1 tsp = 100 drops and adjusted accordingly to my tank size. Also, for what it's worth, day one says 4 DROPS and 4 DROPS ONLY... not per gallon. Doing this gives you an idea about how much ammonia you are adding and a better idea of how many drops are needed to reach your goal.

1660584328579.png
Incredible. My instructions do not say that at all.

Attachments

• 50CCBD9F-83B0-4E3E-A155-6BDBF8ECC454.jpeg
    50CCBD9F-83B0-4E3E-A155-6BDBF8ECC454.jpeg
    318.1 KB · Views: 56

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are similar complaints about the new version by Fritz as well.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Natural cycle never fails. Bacteria and window cleaner often has issues like yours. Hope it works the 6th time.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough

But there is a "*" ;)

The easy solution instead of coming to the forum and posting that the instructions 'are definitely wrong' would to have first maybe contacted Dr. Tim using their portal. Not that you can't post about it but rather if they are incorrect then they could be fixed or clarified for the rest of the hobby. Might as well go to the actual source.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But there is a "*" ;)

The easy solution instead of coming to the forum and posting that the instructions 'are definitely wrong' would to have first maybe contacted Dr. Tim using their portal. Not that you can't post about it but rather if they are incorrect then they could be fixed or clarified for the rest of the hobby. Might as well go to the actual source.
What? Cool so let’s never warn others or discuss anything, just talk to the source only. Sounds like an attempt to do what exactly? We’re not trying to win at some argument, don’t try to make discussions like that please.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What? Cool so let’s never warn others or discuss anything, just talk to the source only. Sounds like an attempt to do what exactly? We’re not trying to win at some argument, don’t try to make discussions like that please.

Relax. Did you miss over the part when I said 'not that you can't post'? You are stating the instructions are wrong. Did you reach out to the vendor? The vendor is the only person that can fix the problem if there is one or help clarify them to you if not.

Also note it is to the greater good of the hobby to correct since not everyone visits forums.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll change out all the water in my QT tank (it's only 10g, so it's easy) and get another bottle of Dr. Tim's One and Only. I'll try using 4 drops on the first day and report back.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in Dr tims one and only... I wouldn't add the ammonia though. Or maybe half the dosage. But Dr tims and a fish is definitely a good way to go

Yes, I've had success before with it, but always ended up overdosing unless I didn't follow instructions. I gave it another shot this time, but overdosed on one of two tanks.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I digress here:

“If you read the forums, almost every single person has the same issue with having way too much ammonia and needing to restart.”

Nobody has ammonia issues, it’s a made up fear.

the tank posts you read about ammonia problems are ammonia compliant tanks, and nh4 panic posts. All those tanks you read were already carrying fish as proof, during the time of the panic post. Only non digital test readings comprise the online proof of a failed cycle, actual failure to carry bioload isn’t seen in any posts, link any we may know of for proof.

at three weeks, you’re cycled. I know you don’t agree, does anybody ever agree lol

fact remains, I would link this thread to page 32 of our false stuck cycle thread but we don’t need the extra examples now, this is standard false stall, not read with an ammonia alert badge nor seneye.

the problem is in the testing, not the filter. If you’re cycling a display of normal surface area, you were done a while ago. If it’s a quarantine, then have a normal degree of surface area in the flowpath and don’t ask the system to oxidize a huge test load…this overpowers common nh4 test kits and makes them read deep color fear.

there are no stuck or incomplete bottle bac cycles on week 3, or we couldn’t be up to page 33 with 100% safe cycle start date calls in our false stuck cycle study thread.

incidentally, not one cycling chart in the history of aquarium biology agrees ammonia control takes over three weeks.

100% of all digitally-measured cycles are done before day ten, three weeks doesn’t even register in the digital world it’s strictly a concern based on api or Red Sea nh4 non digital ammonia tests.

what kind of test kit are you using

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back